• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aliens Attack

georgedv

5 Year Member
In my 20G long I noticed alien creatures attached to the glass. They look like "Y" with tentacles. The tank houses 4 gold rams. They seem healthy swimming/fighting/playing/flirting/eating as they always have.

I thought it was hydra, but after researching and seeing pictures....I don't think it is unless there are different kind of hydra. I tried getting a pic but getting a clear focused shot and have the animal identifiable was hard with what I have. In the meantime I hope to get a head start.

Thank you for all your help
g

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Photos would definitely help. Your thread title definitely caught my eye! haha

georgedv

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike and Josh. If it is Hydra is there something I can get at a pet store? Or is the solution a simple dose of salt? I have read about other meds, but I am not sure I can get these at a drug store or something. I might just have to remove everyone and everything to sterilize. Also is there something to dip the fish in....since they are rams they might be sensitive to many remedies.

Thanks
g

danbb

If there is hydra, you can use succesfully fenbendazole (dose 0.1 grams per 10 gallons). No side effect against fish and good bacteria. I have tried also a 6 V battery, with no result.

danbb

If there is hydra, you can use succesfully fenbendazole (dose 0.1 grams per 10 gallons). No side effect against fish and good bacteria. I have tried also a 6 V battery, with no result.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Thanks danbb, I read that somewhere also, I just don't know how to procure this without too much trouble. That's why I was asking if something containing this med existed at a pet shop...or over the counter.

thanks

g

danbb

Probably you can find it only in a vet cabinet. Ask for Panacur, it's a canine dewormer, I believe it's not that hard to get some. Here I used a medicine called "romfenbendazol", this one is less concentrate.

regani

5 Year Member
Fenbendazole is part of some dewormers for pets so just have a read through the ingredient list on the package of some of the products. Flubendazole, which is also the active ingredient in some dewormers, also seems to work for many people.

You don't need the pure stuff, just be careful with the dosing. It is not the fenbendazole or flubendazole that can cause problem but the large amount of sugar (for bird dewormers) or other fillers that are in there. Both fenbendazole and flubendazole are very active against hydra, so you don't need much - and you get a free de-worm for your fish, too :)

regani

5 Year Member
It can't - at least the usual broad spectrum antibiotics can't so the use of antibiotics always causes trouble with filtration etc.
And the antibiotics are useless against hydra as well, so no point of putting them into the tank

georgedv

5 Year Member
I sent my wife to the pet store and she came back with a brand called Sentry. I can' find any list of ingredients on the box except in one corner it says "pyrantel pamaote/praziquantel"....(glare on the box might have me seeing some letters wrong).

Can any one shed some light or should I just return it and find one with the fenbendazole.

thanks
g

regani

5 Year Member
They are different active ingredients. They are active against different types of worms butI don't think they work against hydra - happy to be corrected if someone has a different experience.
Try to find something with fenbendazole or flubendazole in it. I don't know the US brands but someone may be able to help you there.

georgedv

5 Year Member
One of the new apisto. hongsloi that I got a few days ago seems to be bloated and scales seem raised off body. Usually this is an internal parasite...can the antibiotic in the dog dewormer work here too.

Thank you for any of your input/experience.

g

gerald

5 Year Member
Maybe, maybe not ... depends on the cause. Bacteria can cause bloating too, or anything that damages the kidney, either infectious or non-infectious causes. Personally, I have rarely had bloated Apistos recover completely. Other cichids yes, but rarely Apistos or rams. I've had some appear to get a little better for a couple weeks, then relapse and die. Once their osmoregulatory function has gone bad enough for bloating to be apparent, their organs are pretty far gone. I sure hope your hongsloi recovers --good luck.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Thanks Gerald,
I think you are right. The fish was quite bloated when I started using the de-wormer. It has been about four days now and he seems bigger.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help on the hydra. I also want to say if anyone does get a hydra problem, and runs across this thread, the de-wormer for dogs (I used) did the job. It has been a few days and the tank is now clean. I am going to wait another three days for one last dosage. Next week I'll do a water change. If anything changes I'll post again.
g

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….