• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizii n cacatuoides

harnsheng

5 Year Member
im gonna get my first apistos this weekend(i think).i bought a pair of agasizii n a pair of cacatuoides! can anyone give me some ideas of how to breed them successfully?? is it hard to breed them?? what about feeding the fry?? is the water Ph 7 suitable for them?? thanks!

Apistt_ed

hello harnsheng,

well, to answer your question, how young are these fish that you are getting? Cacatuoides are fairly a good fish to start with and Aggies I have found to be either or when it comes to spawning... but as with most every fish, I guess it's the same all throughout.

Spawning tips would be to have hiding places plenty in the tanks that they are going to be housed in and keep them fed well with a good protein such as brine shrimp, bbs, daphnia, and I feed my apistos live Blackworms (against the opinion of many others). Blackworms are a great source of protein but makes sure your source for them are reliable and disease/parasite free and use it as a suppliment in a varied diet and not the only thing in their diet. This is standard in the conditioning process to get your fish in the right state of health for them to spawn. All in all, with careful observations and preparation and a little know-how (along with patience) spawning them shouldn't be rocket science at all.

Aggies will generally do fine in your water if they are an aquarium strain, but to get them to spawn, you will need generally a more acidic softer water. I keep my double red aggies (red-tail aggies) in tap water and they do fine in the neutral ph but spawning just isn't in their interest until I condition them to softer water. The wild strains of aggies won't survive or do well in the same conditions and it should be taken into note that R/O water filtered with peat will also trigger aggies to spawn and is best for their eggs to develope correctly. Cacatuoides will live and spawn fine in water slightly alkaline with neutral or even above neutral ph. When it comes to feeding the fry, you'll generally hear that bbs (baby brine shrimp) freshly hatched would be best and even a liquid fry food or finely crushed flakes.

well, I hoped this helped a little... ask many questions and enjoy your experience with them. best wishes and cheers... john

harnsheng

5 Year Member
thanks!

thanks for ur information....the fish that i will get probably around 3 to 3.5 cm according to the one who sell it to me!!
do agasizii really need acidic water?? can i use blackwater?? how to soften the water arr? n do the fries will take liguid fry food?? because some of the fish usually neglected prepared food like betta!! r there easily accepted the food like powder fish food/flake n liquid fry food?? i hope they will cause it will be easier la...hehehhe!!

Apistt_ed

As far as prepared foods, many people do only feed dried and prepared foods to all their fish all the time so it would be fine also just I prefer to feed them live and properly thawed frozen foods. If you have access to R/O water (reverse osmosis) that is the most practical way it's done here without raising the conductivity of the water parameters, which is critically important for keeping and spawning apistos as well as not raising nitrate levels. As far as I know, I have kept and spawned agassizii in blackwater so, I don't think it'd be a problem for you also. If you do experience that the fish don't take prepared foods and flakes then you may have to resort to feeding them live foods but this is dependant upon the individual fishes. john

harnsheng

5 Year Member
about the RO water...do i need to use it 100% or just mix some amount of it to make it soft?? and about the prepared food...what i mean is will the fry ate them...i noe most adults will but the problem is the fry?? do they need live food completely? or they will take powdered flake as readily??

Apistt_ed

Well, a total mix of R/O is not always needed. You can go with a percentage mix of 70/30 (R/O to Tap water) and that's always been ok with my fish. The thing is that you want to do trial and error to see what's best suited to your needs and your fish.

Fry will readily take powdered flake food is what I meant. I usually start most of my apistogramma fry who are too small for even the most freshly hatched bbs and then graduate them to live foods or just keep them on flake food altogether.

harnsheng

5 Year Member
finally got my apisto...so happy!! the colour is still not so nice la....probably stress la..haiiii! hope they can do well in my aquarium..n breed!! hehehehe! :biggrin:

harnsheng

5 Year Member
ya ya b4 i forget? can a two cm females(agasizii) breed?? and one more thing...if a fish looks pale n differnt from the male..it is will be for sure a female?? it is about 3 cm n the tail got patterns like the male but very pale in color?? it is A.cacatuoides!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
can a two cm females(agasizii) breed??

Depends on the age, but it is possible.

if a fish looks pale n differnt from the male..it is will be for sure a female??

No

it is about 3 cm n the tail got patterns like the male but very pale in color?? it is A.cacatuoides!!
\

It depends on the form of cacatuoides. Wild female forms of A. cacatuoides have no tail pattern. Some domestic forms do.

kray

5 Year Member
harnsheng said:
ya ya b4 i forget? can a two cm females(agasizii) breed?? and one more thing...if a fish looks pale n differnt from the male..it is will be for sure a female?? it is about 3 cm n the tail got patterns like the male but very pale in color?? it is A.cacatuoides!!

I also have the same problem of trying to identify females when they are so small. What should we be looking at to be certain that we are getting a female and not a male?

kray

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
At 2 cm (under 1"), the only sure way to sex them is time. Wait until they mature.
Hi Mike, what about sizes that are over 1 inch.. any feature to look out for, even before maturity? Thanks.

harnsheng

5 Year Member
my small cacatuoides 3cm long looks like a male but the dorsal fin not elongated,i mean like long and spiny on the first ray(??) n the color r just pale while the male r for sure with the same size like the other wan which the breeder tell me that it is a female!! it got patterns la on the fin....thats wat make me confuse!!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
At 3 cm I look for the first appearence of markings on the caudal fin, and the back of the caudal becoming squared off (truncate). This would mean that it will develop into a male.

harnsheng

5 Year Member
errrr.....i dun really understand la...wat is truncate??? do u have any picture to show it?? thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….