• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizi - unsuccessful spawn again

mordor

5 Year Member
I am getting lost counting, it would be 4th time when my pair terminates their spawn at wigglers stage. After two unsuccessful triesin community tank I moved them into another tank. I just wonder if I should remove all other fish in this tank? Maybe parents decided that young fish have no chance to survive. I got 3 corydoras catfish and two barbs just to keep male busy but he is not very aggresive towards tank mates. Long time ago I got bigger cichlids and e.g. raibow cichlid would attack my hand when young ones were around. I understand that apistos are much smaller but I put target fish to tank to teach them good parenting :) Previously I got pair of A. cacatuoides and male really terrorized all tank when female was taking care of wigglers. How many spawn are required for young parents to learn?

aspen

5 Year Member
cories will eat eggs and fry. try a lighter 'pressure' fish. i was quite successful with a single oto with my rams. when i removed it, the male killed my best female.

rick

Z Man

5 Year Member
mordor,
My friend Big John gave me this advice a long time ago. When he see's his new fish have spawned he tells them, "This first one is mine, then you can have all the rest!". Since then I almost always do what he said. I remove either the pot and eggs or the 2 parents, whichever is easier. My breeders are the only 2 fish to each tank so moving the adults is much easier. You know that you have a good pair so there must be some unknown reason they won't take them any further so I would just raise them myself.

mordor

5 Year Member
Z Man:
I got no space for serious breeding. I would appreciate even small number of fry raised naturally. After all I am just hobbyst not professional breeder.

BTW. My female is guarding eggs again. This time I can see how many because eggs are laid at the edge of coconut. They probbably spawned again yesterday during day.

Z Man

5 Year Member
Well, if you are serious about raising some of the fry, you could "maybe" try this. I don't know your particular tank & situation but could you float a plastic container such as for shoes or even food that would be large enough to accomodate the shell? I have done that before I got involved with so many tanks. Once the wrigglers appear, it's easy to change the water by just tipping the container and dumping out some water into the tank and slowly taking in some new. Just a thought anyway.
Z-man

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….