• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizi Problem

J

JimS

I have recently purchased 2 male and 3 female agassizi for my 180 ltr tank. The fish have settled in quite quickly and all the females have established their own territories.
The problem is that the alpha male is more interested in hunting out the other male and chasing him around rather than showing any interest in the females. Two of the three females have changed colour to a bright yellow with a black dot rather than a stripe along their bodies and they are displaying by swimming around the male at different angles showing their under body whenever he is near their territory. However he is not showing them much interest. He gives a short display then rushes off to chase the other male out of his hiding place.

The tank is fully planted with a dark substrate and the only other fish in my tank are 20 wild caught green neons.

apistobob

5 Year Member
This sounds like typical behaviour to me. The dominate male is working to keep another male out of his territory and away from his harem. The displays by the female just serve to get him riled up to beat up on intruders. I believe that if any of the females are ready to spawn they will have no trouble getting the male to enter their cave. However, after spawning he will be even more vigilant in protecting his area.

The only hope you might have is to aquascape to create many different small clearing areas where a male can establish a territory. If you can lay out the tank with several empty clearings between the two males you might have a chance. However, two males makes it very tough because there is only one real target for the dominate male. Nothing is absolute but I have had more success when I have three or four males than when I just have two.

The other option is to remove the subdominate male and give him a tank with one of the females.

Bob

J

JimS

apistobob said:
This sounds like typical behaviour to me. The dominate male is working to keep another male out of his territory and away from his harem. The displays by the female just serve to get him riled up to beat up on intruders. I believe that if any of the females are ready to spawn they will have no trouble getting the male to enter their cave. However, after spawning he will be even more vigilant in protecting his area.

The only hope you might have is to aquascape to create many different small clearing areas where a male can establish a territory. If you can lay out the tank with several empty clearings between the two males you might have a chance. However, two males makes it very tough because there is only one real target for the dominate male. Nothing is absolute but I have had more success when I have three or four males than when I just have two.

The other option is to remove the subdominate male and give him a tank with one of the females.

Bob

Thanks for the advice Bob. I have tried changing the aquascape a couple of times and although it has slowed the dominant male down, he is pretty persistant. I have spoken to my local dealer today who fully agrees with you that it is difficult with having two males in the same tank and he said I could return the less dominant male in exchange for some goods.

J

JimS

torpesuger said:
I think they have already spawned.

Zsolt

I think you may be right as the dominant male is now maintaining a guard over one of the caves. The female usually in that territory has disappeared, I presume she is in there looking after the eggs.

Greg PL

5 Year Member
Jim,
for 180L you may consider adding another male instead of returning the second one. 2 is the unlucky number for us apisto fans. 1, 3 or more could be all right.
(assumption: they are the only dwarves in your tank)

good luck

Greg PL

5 Year Member
it's just a matter of 2 - one is stronger - second is beaten. if there's 3 or more - the aggression splits. it can happen that the 3rd one finds his way around the 1st one and they maintain some kind of balance in their relationships.
and there doesn't need to be 2 females per male in this setup, I think it's not a common situation in their natural environment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….