• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice on motherless fry

allentwnguy

The are cruising just over 1/4". They are eating like hogs. With "no one else" in the tank they have split up from the group and are all over the tank at all levels. There are between 35 and 40, originally I believe there were around 50. They are true apistogramma preferring live food (bbs) over dry. They all get big pink bellies after feeding which tells me they are all eating well. I do water changes daily which helps with growth and I hope it minimizes any residual diseases as they are still in the original quarantine tank. The tank was treated with ParaGuard when the parents started getting a visible fungus. And was also treated a few days ago with Fenbendazole for a hydra outbreak due to the feeding of live bbs.

All in all they are doing great. They are in a tank on the lower shelf of a rack. My fish room in on the first floor and I love to watch them the most right now! Hopefully they will continue to thrive ****knocks on wood****

Bottom row second from the right!!

Attachments

• DSC04989 (3).JPG
    DSC04989 (3).JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 319

allentwnguy

I only had 4 apisto tanks planned and they are full (cacatuoides triple, agassizi double red, sp Tefe and the alto tapiche). They are addictive even with the catastrophes like this order. I'm trying to stay in the room I planned as the fish room. But I'm sure we can work something out. I've never shipped fish before. I usually sell wholesale to a real good fish store (The Fish Place N Tonawanda, NY) but he only takes 10 pair at a time. I have to figure something out because I'm sitting on over 100 fry and juvies right now.

Shane Puthuparambil

Haha, with shipping, do you realise how much you could make? Wholesale charges cheap. If the fish you produce are quality, why get shorted?

I have a friend in Ballston Spa, who wouldn't mind sending me some. Maybe I can ask him!

allentwnguy

Well the last male alto tapiche died last night. That's the end of the crappiest fish order I have ever received, all 5 fish have died. I've said prayers and thank-yous to the female and male from this order that gifted me with these 40 fry that are doing wonderful so far.

Apsnake

Will they seriously guide Daphnia around? That's so funny my apistos would nevvvvver do that I remember I had some Nigerian red fry and they were a fair size well out of fry stage dropped one in my big tank.. he didn't even touch the surface and my cacatoides ate him whole and went and sulked about how full he was

allentwnguy

Will they seriously guide Daphnia around? That's so funny my apistos would nevvvvver do that I remember I had some Nigerian red fry and they were a fair size well out of fry stage dropped one in my big tank.. he didn't even touch the surface and my cacatoides ate him whole and went and sulked about how full he was

A borellii must be a really "chill" fish. When I put daphnia in any of my apisto tanks they hit them hard!

allentwnguy

Did a search today on google and saw apisto.com and this post listed so I decided to update for any that read it. 8 months and a triple hernia surgery later.... The little guys are doing great. There are still about 50. Some are up to 1 1/2 inches and are finally showing colors and some are showing black pelvic fins. So today I've been setting up a tank for a male and what I think are 2 females to hopefully get a breeding pair. I may make up another setup with a small group and then ship the rest to a retailer I do business with. That's pretty much the end of the saga.

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Good thing they mostly survived and grew. I raised lone T. candidi fry just like this too. Bbs and frequent water changes works really well but hydra is a problem that need to be taken care of quickly.
Can we at least see the fish once? I have never heard of this species before, google images look very interesting but not very consistent... :rolleyes:

allentwnguy

Good thing they mostly survived and grew. I raised lone T. candidi fry just like this too. Bbs and frequent water changes works really well but hydra is a problem that need to be taken care of quickly.
Can we at least see the fish once? I have never heard of this species before, google images look very interesting but not very consistent... :rolleyes:

Sure... Mind you this is a pic of a very young sick wild caught male. It's one of the few pics I have. I believe this was the father of the fry I have. This was taken a few days after I got them. He along with the mother of the fry were the best looking. It's a sad story with a some what happy ending.
DSC05826.JPG

Will

This was such a cool discussion to read! I've had group spawns of apistos steal fry from other female and put them in their school, so it's always possible your's would've done it too. However given your circumstances I'm glad you didn't the risk. It would be an interesting experiment.

allentwnguy

It's raining outside! I got an e-mail from Apistogramma.com and here I am, an update is in order! Of the fry I haven't seen any deaths. In fact to keep the line in tact I separated what I thought looked like a male and 2 females. It was a female and 2 males! Since then they have spawned and about a dozen fry are now an inch long. I finally moved the pea puffers out of the 40breeder I had set up for my 4th apisto tank and soon It will be aquascaped for apisto's. A dozen or so of the "sharpest" alto tapiche will be calling it home. In fact since it's raining............

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….