• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Acclimating fry to new tank water

mantisfan101

My panduro spawned again and this time I decided to care for the fry separately since when I leave them with the parents, they always disappear after a week without a trace. How would I go about acclimating them to different tankw ater? Should I drip acclimate?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
My panduro spawned again and this time I decided to care for the fry separately since when I leave them with the parents, they always disappear after a week without a trace. How would I go about acclimating them to different tank water? Should I drip acclimate?
Can you take a reasonable volume of water from the main tank? If you can I would.

I use rain-water, so I don't need to add a water conditioner etc., but I like to get the fish from one tank to another fairly quickly.

cheers Darrel

mantisfan101

I don’t think I can, I have another setup established system with a ton of java moss. Also when I leave them with the parents the male and female always eat everything and the fry barely get anything to eat. Would drip acclimating work?

CyberCoyote

Given they are older, but I had brought my Macmasteri juvies to the LFS today and 'thought' I'd cleared out the grow out tank. After draining it down to next to nothing I spotted a small Mac still in there. I just scooped him up and popped him in the nearest tank. THEN I was adding new water to the tank.. ice cold as I didn't think anything was in there, just dumped a bunch of prime in first, and another danged little guy showed up. Caught him and again into the next tank. It was pretty callous I know, but 4 hours later and the kids are all right. They are probably a lot tougher than we give them credit for.

Coincidentally, thought I was done with breeding apistos but the LCS I traded them to has the cutest Panduros... if they hold them for me I'll be in your shoes sooner than later :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….