• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A pair of D50

anewbie

These were sold as D50 but the colouring is a bit different than the ones on Tom's page:
male:
f5.jpg

Female:
f6.jpg

anewbie

Are these tiny? 1-1.5”?
I'd say between 1.5 and 2 - definitely less than 2 - hum - let me get a ruler out and try to measure them - they didn't exactly sit still but i think the female is right around 1.5 from the very end of the tail to the nose and the male is around 1.75 maybe a tad less and a bit taller.

Apistoguy52

I'd say between 1.5 and 2 - definitely less than 2 - hum - let me get a ruler out and try to measure them - they didn't exactly sit still but i think the female is right around 1.5 from the very end of the tail to the nose and the male is around 1.75 maybe a tad less and a bit taller.
Fair enough. Give ‘em some time to grow into it. By d50 standards, they’re still very small

anewbie

Fair enough. Give ‘em some time to grow into it. By d50 standards, they’re still very small
One quick question; do you know off hand if they are poly or pair forming. The two i have have been hanging together which makes me think they might be pair forming or maybe just immature - most poly species i have the male/female tend to not keep together.

Apistoguy52

No idea.. I’d say they were fairly monogamous, male only ever bred with one female, the others were relegated to hiding out.
One quick question; do you know off hand if they are poly or pair forming. The two i have have been hanging together which makes me think they might be pair forming or maybe just immature - most poly species i have the male/female tend to not keep together…

anewbie

No idea.. I’d say they were fairly monogamous, male only ever bred with one female, the others were relegated to hiding out.
Ok. Well i thought they would be immature given the comment that they would get larger; but the female turned bright yellow and is guarding an area in the very back (the male is up front having nothing to do with her); i'd take a picture but i dont' want to disturb her - i had to use a flash light to find her in the back - i was doing a health check as i hadn't seen her for a couple of days. The aquarium is an extremely densely planted 40B community aquarium. Given the colours maybe they aren't really d50 but a d49 or d51 ;)

anewbie

I should probably post update pictures but now that they are older the male colour have changed to an extreme. It has a very large amount of red under the throat and the fins have turned more orange iridescent; really a lovely fish. Unlike my other wc they are extremely bold (friendly) and not easily startled - of course they are a bit on the pig side when it comes to eating. I hope to move out of a community 40B to a dedicated 29 when i move around 6 weeks - kind of wish i could do it sooner but i have to get the stuff out of the 29 first which will also happen when i move.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….