• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Nijsseni or Panduro?

ApistoBen

Hi all. I recently picked up 3 pairs of apistos, 2 pairs of Nijsseni and a pair of Panduro.
My lfs had both in the same tank and I'm not convinced that he's given me the right females.
IMAG1358.jpg

Female Panduro?
IMAG1360.jpg

Female Nijsseni? This little girl seems stressed still and hasnt yet settled properly.

This fish was sent to me by mistake, i ordered a female Panduro, however it looks like a male to me. although the person I sourced it from thinks it is a male nijsseni.
IMAG1364.jpg

My other nijsseni males look like this though
IMAG1367.jpg

And finally
IMAG1366.jpg

Fairly sure she is a nijsseni?

As you can see, my tanks are a bit of a puzzle at the moment, so any help with identification wouldbe greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
AB

Attachments

• IMAG1360.jpg
    IMAG1360.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 581

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Files are too large for me to wait for them to appear. Crop the photos to the fish only and reduce each crop to <1 mp and I'll look at them. (Rant over)

ApistoBen

Hi, thanks for the response. I should've just uploaded them as thumbnails! Here they are, cropped:

Female Panduro?
IMAG1358-1.jpg

Female Nijsseni? This little girl seems stressed still and hasnt yet settled properly.
IMAG1360-1.jpg

This fish was sent to me by mistake, i ordered a female Panduro, however it looks like a male to me. although the person I sourced it from thinks it is a male nijsseni.
IMAG1364-1.jpg

My other nijsseni males look like this though
IMAG1367-1.jpg

And finally
IMAG1366-1.jpg

Fairly sure she is a nijsseni?

I hope that works! Thanks again.
AB

Imrahil

5 Year Member
Hi,
Pic 1, 2, 5 : I do not see any panduro female here. Only nijsseni to me.
Pic 3: I do not exactly know what is this... but in my opinion it is also a female despite the occurrence of this blue color on the anal and dorsal fins.

Euphoria91

I agree, this is a panduro female :

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365865498796.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365865498796.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 461

ApistoBen

Thanks for the responses guys. I've managed to get hold of 2 wild Panduro females so i now know for sure that these girls are all nijsseni. Thanks again for your comments.

AB

ApistoBen

I've tried taking some photos of the new fish, I'm not entirely convinced that they're female Panduro, mainly because of their behavior. Also they seem more of a male shape than any other female apisto i have seen before.

First "female Panduro" Sorry about the angle, the second photo will show "her" alongside my male Panduro. The third photo is the second "female Panduro"

IMAG1392.jpg

IMAG1379.jpg

IMAG1394.jpg

Any ideas guys? It concerns me the way the 2 new additions keep swimming at my male, gills flared. I've only ever seen this behavior before between 2 fish of the same sex.

Thanks,
AB

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Being a nijsseni-group species female (and male) A. panduro can be very picky about with whom they bond and breed. Maybe your females don't especially like your males. Still, with some patience you should get someone to breed.

ApistoBen

Lm
Being a nijsseni-group species female (and male) A. panduro can be very picky about with whom they bond and breed. Maybe your females don't especially like your males. Still, with some patience you should get someone to breed.
Thanks Mike.

I thought this could be the case. I think my male is tank bred and the females are wild, could this be the problem? He doesn't appear at all happy and I'm worried because he took me a while to get hold of.

I think perhaps I need to find a tank bred female.

Cheers :)

ApistoBen

IMHO wildcaught or domestic bred really makes very little difference with this species.
I am very new to this but I just thought the way they looked and acted towards each other and my male, they stunk of male. I just took them to my lfs and he agrees that they're male, he said 100%. I thought i was being stupid. If anyone knows of any tank bred/f1/f2 Panduros for sale, please let me know :)

Thanks again,
AB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….