• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. mendezi or A.paucisquamis?!

Neil

Heidge,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Well, you sure are starting out with a toughie.
I don't think that this is a bitaeniata. Unfortunately, the similarities of paucisquamis and mendezi are many. Mendezi is known to have several(at least 2) distinct forms and are differentiated by distribution and caudal markings. Horizontal marking in eastern distribution locations and vertical in western distribution ranges. Normally paucisquamis was thought to be distinguished from mendezi by the vertical caudal markings(rows of golden spots), but specimens from the western part of mendezis distribution range are very difficult to distinguish from paucisquamis because of the similarity of vertical caudal markings. Yours look to have vertical markings.

If I were guess, I would say paucisquamis. But, that is all it would be. It might be helpful to have a clearer picture or pictures to distinguish some of the other black markings and spangling. Paucisquamis seems to have spangles on the posterior portion of the anal fin, where mendezi doesn't (I think!).

Neil

Fisherking

5 Year Member
My guess is also paucisquamis. I had this problem a year ago. Mendezi have shorter ventral fins. And paucisquamis is more slender then mendezi. There are many diffrenses if you reed the literaure on apistogramma.

Heidge

5 Year Member
Thanks all! :lol:

A.bitaeniata doesn´t seems to look like this.

I agree with you Neil. It could be A.paucisquamis because for the black marking above the lateral line. Mendezis have more than one. And the caudal with spots...

Well, I will soon post more pictures of this fish, like others that I have here.

Thanks for the lesson on discriminating those species.

See you soon,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….