• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. gephyra tankmates

B

Buck

At present I keep large South/ central American cichlids and I wanted to try something different. Anyway, I was at a fish club auction today and picked up a pair of A. gephyra. My question is what other Apisto's can be kept with them, if any? They are in a 20 gallon with a pair of rams, neons and corys (3)- is this overcrowded? I do have spare 20 gallon tanks if need be (and probably a 55 if my Texas keeps killing everything I put in with it). My lfs is getting a stock of agassizi in the next few weeks, but I have been given conflicting advice about their compatibility, any comments?

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Welcome Aboard Buck!

As for the gephyra, the rams are good tank mates. I currently have my group with a trio of Dicrossus filamentosa (Lyretail Checkerboard cichlid) and all is well. All 8 are in a 15g and have spwaned regularly. No fry to show for their efforts yet, but they are getting closer.

Aggies and gephyra are very similar. I think they are from the same complex. I've got aggassizii in the tank next to the gephyra. To me, gephyra look like aggassizii with different color patterns. There are some subtle differences, but basically same body shape, same tail shape, same fin pattern...

They thrive in soft, acidic water. If the gephyra do well in there for you, the rams should also.

mordor

5 Year Member
They should be fine with rams. Do not even try to put them together with Texas because they become expensive feeder fish :twisted:

Neil

Buck,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Gephyra are very nice animals and Cichlids1 is right on in everything he mentioned. They are probably too similar to agassizii to keep together. They may not crossbreed, but you will be hard-pressed to tell them apart. Depending upon the species-from and the individual size, gephyra usually can be distinguished by the fact that they have a different colored caudal fin. The upper half is speckled and the lower half is horizontally striped.
Keep them in soft, acidic water and they mayreward you with fry.

B

Buck

Thanks for the replies. The Apiso's are beginning to put in an appearance now, the male appeared a bit apprehensive about coming out of his flowerpot/ cave but he's settling in nicely. It looks like they may have a new home in the 55 gallon tank as my Texas has seen off both my firemouth and convicts, he is now destined to live with the big boys (a grumpy synspilum, an intolerant severum and an oscar with a bad attitude). Ah the joy of cichlid keeping!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….