• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few newbie questions

Y

yogini

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd join in the fun...

I just set up a new aquarium after not having had one for over 10 years and have recently stumbled upon the wonderful world of dwarf cichlids. I have a pretty small tank (my tiny apartment won't allow for a big one) and wanted to get some advice on adding a few apistos. I also have some other general questions, and I'll organize them a bit to make it easier...

Questions/doubts:

1) First of all, my tap water here seems to be on the hard/alkaline side. I've had my tank running for a little over a month (I'm pretty sure it's fully cycled but I'm watching it closely to make sure) and my water specs are:

pH: 7.0 - 7.5 (somewhere in between but I'm not sure how to make it read more specifically, I'd say closer to 7.5)
GH: 14 dH
nitrites: >0.1 mg/L
temp: 26 C

I know the water is pretty hard...I ran a test on a sample out of the tap and it read 13 dH. I know there are ways to reduce GH and pH and all, but since I'm just getting back into this and don't want to get in over my head too soon, I was wondering.....are there any apistos that could tolerate these conditions? IF not, would it be possible to lower the pH and GH by mixing tap with distilled water? (I wouldn't even know how to go about getting an RO system here in Barcelona and I don't really have extra room for keeping things, I barely have enough room as it is for the bucket I use for the aquarium and the water containers I keep to store tap water for water changes.) Is this a reliable method that is easy to control so there are no sharp water value changes? Or should I at this point just stick to what can survive and thrive in my water?

2) aquarium specs:
50 L with quite a bit of plants, gravel type substrate (the typical small colored gravel type), 3 large rocks that form a bridge/cave, and a current population of 6 harlequin rasboras, 2 panda cories, and an ancistrus. Aside from the water requirements mentioned above, what could go into this tank? I really like Rams, and the brightly colored type apistos in general.

3) filtration issues:
I currently have a Hailida Apolo I power head (it came with the aquarium in a package deal) but in general don't have much knowledge or experience with filters. Is this a good or decent filter? I've heard great stuff about the Marineland biowheel filters but they are (or seem to be) unavailable here in Spain. We do have Eheims, AquaClears, Fluvals, and some others but I was wondering what type of filter available here in Europe would be the best for my aquarium. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
yogini :D

Neil

yogini,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

1) First of all, my tap water here seems to be on the hard/alkaline side.

Yes, it is pretty hard. Numerous apistos and other Dwarfs can be kept in your tank, but will likely not show their full color of be really happy. The main thing is to keep the water very clean. Lots of water changes. If you do decide to alter your water, there are small RO systems that you can purchase that will have a duel purpose of giving you soft, good water to drink as well. Some can be attached to your kitchen sink and used when needed. You and your fish will think the investment is well worth it.

2) aquarium specs:
50 L with quite a bit of plants, gravel type substrate (the typical small colored gravel type), 3 large rocks that form a bridge/cave, and a current population of 6 harlequin rasboras, 2 panda cories, and an ancistrus. Aside from the water requirements mentioned above, what could go into this tank? I really like Rams, and the brightly colored type apistos in general.

Rams are one of the species that will probably not be real happy in your water. Consider borellii, cacatuoides, N. anomola, M. altispinosa, or P. pulcher.

I was wondering what type of filter available here in Europe would be the best for my aquarium.

Any filter that doesn't have a really strong flow-rate is OK. But really all you need is a sponge filter, if you are keeping up regular water changes.
Good luck!
Neil

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
Neil says rams wont make your water. I think he is referring to the German or Blue Rams. Bolivian Rams would do (just like he mentioned before-LOL). Just thought I'd help.

Also you say dwarf- Is that all of them or from a specific region that you are interested in?

Y

yogini

Thanks for the info!

This whole hard water thing is a bit depressing for me because I was hoping I wouldn't have to mess with it. Now just to be sure I understood correctly...the mentioned species that could handle my water...that means they could tolerate it without any intervention, or only if I go ahead and do the RO thing (now I just have to find out what that's called in Spanish!! I'll see if I can explain it to the LFS guy who's been helping me out with other general stuff). Anyway, about the dwarves that interest me...I prefer the South American ones in general. The LFS had some albino gold rams (they were a pale bright yellow with reddish markings and a few blue spots and were really pretty) that I was interested in getting. He told me that they were raised in captivity and hardier than other rams, and that they shouldn't have any problems in my tank. But I wasn't sure about that based on all the stuff I've been reading so I wanted to verify it with other knowledgeable people. Anybody know about this? Anyways...I'll also see if maybe after some time the hardness of the water and pH go down some naturally, as I've heard they tend to do in a mature tank.

Thanks again!

Y

yogini

Thanks guys!

Ok, more questions...I went to go investigate RO systems here in Barcelona and it turns out they cost what would be like paying almost $1000 in the States, (for a small system that goes under your sink) and on top of that you have to drill a hole in the sink for the RO faucet, and since we're planning on moving within a couple years we decided not to mess with it. So I was planning on mixing distilled water with tap water to create the desired water as an alternative. But I did find these new Brita filters that are specially designed to reduce water hardness in addition to removing chemicals and metals from the water by means of ion exchange resins. I bought a few to try...does anyone know anything about these water filters or if they're a good option? Opinions, suggestions? or should I just go ahead and do the mixing distilled/tap water thing?

thanks!

Y

yogini

Further questions regarding mixing distilled and tap water...

In a 50 liter tank with a current pH of 7.3 (approximately) and GH of 14, what would be the appropriate mix/ratio of distilled (pH of 6.5) with tap (straight tap parameters: 7 - 7.5 pH, GH 13 dh) in a water change of 10 liters to bring the overall GH of the tank down and how slowly should this be done? What is the ideal GH I should be going for (for A. borelli or M. altispinosa)? Should I leave the pH alone or try to lower it more? Also, should I add acid buffer to the mix or leave it alone? How soon before doing the water change should I mix the water? (planning to do it in a bucket dedicated to aquarium use only)

I currently have 6 harlequin rasboras, a pair of panda cories, and a pleco (ancistrus). Would lowering the pH too much be bad for them? How long should I wait to get the apistos after I do the initial change - is it ok to get them after I begin the initial change or should I wait until I achieve the right parameters before I get them? I do not plan to breed them so I'm only interested in achieving water they will be comfortable living in, not spawning in.

Thanks for all the advice!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….