• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. elizabethae female diagnosis

DTM61

Hi all,

Unfortunately this fish has died. However, I'd really like to understand why, so any suggestions would be much appreciated. I feel awful about this.

The first thing I became aware of was a small white lump on her side about a week ago. She'd been shy, but I actually assumed she was clearing a cave for breeding as I'd seen her trying to flirt with the male. She'd generally be out and about if I was a few feet from the tank, picking at the wood and sand, and eating pretty well (mostly bloodworms which I've recently read are maybe not so good).

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all zero. Tds about 100. PH is 6 or below, kh and GH are very low (~ 1 & 3). Lots of catappa leaves, plants and fine sand.

A picture from a couple of weeks ago, happy
20210310_181135.jpg

Last night... Fast breathing, open mouth
20210330_174057.jpg

Today, deceased.
20210331_160509.jpg

20210331_160443.jpg

I'm really at a loss, I tried everything to keep them both happy. The male still looks as he did in the first image. I dosed nt labs anti ulcer and finrot two days ago when I saw a white mark on her right side. Looking at the deceased pictures I've noticed the eye on that side is very dark comparatively, never noticed before.

Upset and any help appreciated,
Cheers
Dan

MacZ

Normally I'd say it is hard to impossible to diagnose something in hindsight.

But that said:
On the last picture of her alive you can see small whitish patches. Two along the dorsal. They look similar to columnaris, but could be from any bacterial infection. Guess there you have it.
Especially species that prefer acidic environments are prone to bacterial infections. The acidity of their environment keeps bacteria down. Seems it is preferrable evolutionary speaking to endure strong acidity when in exchange gaining an environment with little to no bacteria that could destroy whole spawns.

Can't see anything on the dead specimen that not could also be marks from scavenging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….