• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. cf. luelingi Cristal

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistos never cease to amaze me. This time it's my pair of A. cf. luelingi Cristal. I brought them back from Peru in 2012. They've spawned for my many times, but I never seemed to get the fry to survive more than a week. The pair would fight every time there were fry. I'd try to remove the male, but chasing him would cause the female to eat the fry. I figured I'd put them in a slightly larger tank with more structure (they were in a 15 gallon (24x12x12"/60x30x30cm) tank). I set up a 20 long (30x12x12"/75x30x30cm) tank and moved the female first. I would leave her in the new tank for a few days so she could get used to all of the hiding/breeding spots before I would add the male. Well last night I was going to introduce the male to the new tank. I look in the tank and WOW! The male had about 25 fry swimming around him!

I know the photo is pretty poor. The tank is stained with black water and dimly lit. I used a manual focus lens so the autofocus assist lamp wouldn't flash and bother the male. 135mm lens @ f/2.5, 1/45", ISO 4500.

Now I wonder if all the fighting was because the female was eating the fry and the male wanted to protect them. So, I'll leave the male with the fry and see what happens. Weird fish ...

Microman

5 Year Member
Wow Mike Ive not seen this before with my A.cf.luelingi "Cristal". Both myself and Ray have found these to be one of the most prolific Apistos with superb broodcare. As you know we only use 18" x 12", small tanks...
These Apistos never seem to follow the rules do they?
Mark...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Interesting behavior. Where do these A. luelingi come from?
Tom, this species is a bit different from the typical A. luelingi. The females develop short tips at the top and bottom of the caudal fin. It's probably a separate species. These were collected for me by a Peruvian collector near Puerto Maldonado. Maybe you and Brian can talk to the local collectors when you're there.

Mark, I know what you mean. The pair never had a problem bringing fry to freeswimming, but then all Heck would break loose. Just my pair I guess. It seems every fish has its own personality.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, nothing really specific. This general area a few known apistos: A. rubrolineata (I need females, hint, hint;)), A. luelingi, and A. urteagai. I'm sure you'll find something interesting - hopefully not illegal gold mining and mercury pollution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….