1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu'

Discussion in 'Apistogramma' started by Ekona, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Ekona

Ekona Active Member 5 Year Member

Just picked up two pair of this species. From the dealer's description:
    "... the Xingu Apistogramma is found in shallow areas of the fast-moving clear water Rio Xingu in Eastern Brazil".

Anyone know about the natural biotope of this population? Is the description above correct information? Is this population a clear-water species?
    Thanks.
  2. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

Not sure it is found in "areas of fast moving" water. The description seems to be more for species of Loricarids and a genus like Teleocichla. It is a clearwater population, so that's correct. I suggest treating them like other agassizii-like species: shaded and low current tanks. BTW these are A. cf. agassizii (BBCS) and not A. sp. Blauspeigel, right?
  3. Ekona

Yes, will treat as for other aggies. And yes, A. cf. agassizii (BBCS). Once they settle in I'll post photos. Thanks.
  4. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

OK. I miss Blauspeigel. I just hope it hasn't become extinct due to construction of the Bello Monte dam.
  5. Ekona

I was curious if the advertised fish would be Blauspeigel as the importer has a number of WC fishes from the area. No luck in that regard, but an interesting BBCS agassizii-like fish is what I got. This male is small (3-4cm) and is subtly colored with an interesting iridescence in the dorsal and caudal fins - see photos.. Hopefully will grow out to be a nice fish. Females rather small and shy at the moment, got them in separate tanks to grow out on their own.

Attached Files:

MickeM and boofeng like this.
  6. Ekona

My fish appears to be fairly close in form to the Xingu river population as pictured a thread from this forum.

It is also very close to the form pictured on Rayon Vert Aqua listed as from Cameta (including the split pelvic fins). However, Cameta is closer to Belem on the Tocantins river, east of the Xingu river by some distance.
  7. Ekona

Introduced the female to the male's tank today and they started dancing immediately. Sorry for sub-par photos, but best I could do. Interesting metallic pink on male's dorsal fin which I've not seen before on an agassizii.

Attached Files:

MickeM and boofeng like this.
  8. yukondog

yukondog Member

Nice looking fish.
  9. Ekona

Got a few more of these in. Here is the best looking male of all of them. Neat fish! And a definite female which I think is in brood care.

Attached Files:

MickeM, boofeng and dw1305 like this.
  10. rasmusW

rasmusW Member

beautiful fish. good luck, with them.

-r
  11. Ekona

Thanks, rasmusW.
  12. Ekona

This pair has spawned, judging by the female's behavior. She is guarding a clutch (keeping the male away with frequent tail-waiving), and is in full-on brood care coloration. Note she, similar to A. gephyra, has little to no black pigments in her pelvic fins. Does this coloration characteristic have any significance in terms of classification (ie. cf. agassizii)?

Attached Files:

MickeM likes this.
  13. Ekona

First brood with these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Tom C, dw1305 and MickeM like this.