• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A Cacatuoides white tip on dorsal ray

Neptune's Neighborhood

5 Year Member
So my male triple red cacatuoides was from the same place that I got my doomed male agassizii.

He is in a 20L NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 < 1; pH 6.6, dGh 1, dKh 2
He's with two female cacatuoides and three pencilfish.
The tank is fine, in fact both females have fry right now, so he's been pretty busy. I haven't noticed any excessive aggression, a little chasing but no nipping.

Since he got in a fight with my agassizii during quarantine, he developed some bumps on his lips. I figured scar tissue, that was 4 months ago. Today, I noticed one of the rays on his dorsal has developed a white tip. It does look fuzzy. I took him out and swiped him with some pimafix and the white tip did not detach from the rest of the fin. I'm thinking fungus, but not sure how to treat. Pic and Video. http://flic.kr/p/e5HXGY
IMG_4363.JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Looks like fungus on a damaged spine to me, too. It doesn't look too bad, healthwise, to me. If it were my fish, I would just make sure the water was very clean and let the fish's natural immune system take care of it. If the spine actually starts to erode, then it's more than just fungus living on dead skin. I would put him in a separate hospital tank and treat with a gram-positive antibiotic like erythromycin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….