• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. cacatuiodes: Lost male, losing female, not responding to treatment

Strong Style

I purchased a pair of A. cacatuiodes a few weeks ago. The male died a few days after suffering from lethargy and slight abdominal bloating. The female looked fine then. Now she's suffering from exactly the same symptoms and perhaps is even a bit more bloated and today I see white string feces hanging off her. I've dealt with similar in blue rams before and metronidizole took care of the problem. Thus, while the male was still alive, I began dosing API general cure (has metro and praziquantel). Unfortunately, it seems like it is not working as the female stick got sick and will probably not make it. Nothing else is in the tank and it is cycled. Should I try a strong antibiotic like Kanaplex?

gerald

5 Year Member
There's many possible causes: nematodes, protozoa, bacteria, etc. Even though the apparent symptoms may look the same as what your rams had. If you can't ID the underlying cause, treatment is a shot in the dark. But yes, Kanaplex might be worth a try.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I purchased a pair of A. cacatuiodes a few weeks ago. The male died a few days after suffering from lethargy and slight abdominal bloating. The female looked fine then. Now she's suffering from exactly the same symptoms and perhaps is even a bit more bloated and today I see white string feces hanging off her.
You don't really know, but I would suspect Camallanus worms, purely because they are common in commercially produced Apistogramma, which often die before showing visible signs of infection.

<"Levamisole"> is worth a try.

cheers Darrel

central tanks

Sounds like a form of internal parasite for sure. Mike is right QT is very important.

Another suggestion in the future is buy from a breeder that's well known over buying from a LFS, if possible. If your in the United states there is lots of breeders to buy from. Doing this gives you a much better opportunity to know exactly how your fish have been kept and what they may have been exposed to. Also breeders normally care for the fish better and provide healthier habitats. Well known and highly recommended ones wont sell there fry if they have doubts or see a health concern in there tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….