• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.Angayuara and A.Salpinction

Chris(wildcaught!)

5 Year Member
New species to the Apistogramma genus it seems, anyone knows more about these species?

The text below it copied from the following webpage

http://www2.nrm.se/ve/pisces/acara/cichpubl.shtml#taxa2005

Apistogramma angayuara Kullander and Ferreira, 2005: 362, fig. 1 (Brazil, Estado do Pará, rio Trombetas right bank, stagnant pool with sand, rock and dry leaves, below ccachoeira Vira Mundo. Holotype INPA 24058)

Apistogramma salpinction Kullander and Ferreira, 2005: 362, fig. 5 (Brazil, Estado do Pará, rio Trombetas drainage, swamp at Km 70 on margin of BR-163. Holotype INPA 24507)

Regards /Chris

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi folks,

Below is the summary from the paper describing these new fish.

Regards

Andrew

Neotropical Ichthyology, 3(3):361-371, 2005
Copyright © 2005 Sociedade Brasileira de Ictiologia

Two new species of Apistogramma Regan (Teleostei: Cichlidae)
from the rio Trombetas, Pará State, Brazil

Sven O Kullander* and Efrem J. G. Ferreira**

Apistogramma angayuara is described from the rio Trombetas close to the cachoeira Vira Mundo where it is found in
association with rapids. It is assigned to the A. pertensis species group, distinguished by the following characters in combination:
three prominent stripes composed of dark spots along the sides of the abdomen, 2 vs. 3 postlachrymal infraorbital pores,
5 vs. 4 dentary pores, low dorsal fin in adult males, and presence of a caudal spot. It is the smallest species of Apistogramma
reported so far, with the largest male 24.7 mm SL and the largest female 22.7 mm SL, and the first cichlid species found with a
significant proportion of rhizopods in the stomach content. Apistogramma salpinction is described from lentic habitats at the
margin of road BR-163, circa 70 km from Cachoeira Porteira village, in a swamp most probably connected to the igarapé
Caxipacoré. It is compared to members of the Apistogramma cacatuoides group with which it shares prolonged anterior dorsal
fin lappets and marginal caudal fin streamers in adult males. It is distinguished from all other species of Apistogramma by the
color pattern which includes a lateral band and abdominal stripes that become darker and have much lighter interspaces on the
caudal peduncle, and a caudal spot that is divided into elongated blotches continuing the lateral band and upper two abdominal
stripes, respectively.

* Department of Vertebrate Zoology, Swedish Museum of Natural History, PO Box 50007, SE-104 05 Stockholm, Sweden. e-mail:
[email protected]
** Coordenação de Pesquisas em Biologia Aquática, INPA, CP 478, 69083-000 Manaus, AM, Brazil. e-mail: [email protected]

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I do not have the publication yet, but I can give you some information.

A. angayuara is the same fish as A. sp. Trombetas 1 (A-145) in the new DATZ special publication on dwarf cichlids. It is a tiny species belonging to the pertensis-complex. It is more like A. meinkeni than A. pertensis. Males have the low dorsal fin, but are more slender than A. meinkeni. It has never been in the aquarium hobby. Only preserved specimens are known.

A. salpinction is the same fish as A. sp. Trombetas 2 (A-173) in the new DATZ special publication on dwarf cichlids. This is a robust species that Kullander & Ferreira believe belongs in the cacatuoides-group. In truth, it is more likely that it more closely related to A. sp. Breitbinden/Broad-banded & A. personata (brevis-group). Again, it is a fish that has not been in the hobby. Only preserved specimens are known.

The only known pictures of these fish are of preserved specimens. They can be seen in both the Kullander & Ferreira scientific description and in the DATZ dwarf cichlid special publication. I hope this helps a little.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike for the information.
Are there any pictures/drawings on the web that we could take a look
at these new species?
By the way, is it true that A. Angayuara is even smaller than
A. Diplotaenia? ^.^

Mike Wise said:
I do not have the publication yet, but I can give you some information.

A. angayuara is the same fish as A. sp. Trombetas 1 (A-145) in the new DATZ special publication on dwarf cichlids. It is a tiny species belonging to the pertensis-complex. It is more like A. meinkeni than A. pertensis. Males have the low dorsal fin, but are more slender than A. meinkeni. It has never been in the aquarium hobby. Only preserved specimens are known.

A. salpinction is the same fish as A. sp. Trombetas 2 (A-173) in the new DATZ special publication on dwarf cichlids. This is a robust species that Kullander & Ferreira believe belongs in the cacatuoides-group. In truth, it is more likely that it more closely related to A. sp. Breitbinden/Broad-banded & A. personata (brevis-group). Again, it is a fish that has not been in the hobby. Only preserved specimens are known.

The only known pictures of these fish are of preserved specimens. They can be seen in both the Kullander & Ferreira scientific description and in the DATZ dwarf cichlid special publication. I hope this helps a little.

Chris(wildcaught!)

5 Year Member
Thank you Mike for the reply!

Interesting that we obviously have two new species to the genus but not any pictures of a live specimen. Do you happen to know if the preserved fish has been around for some time, or if they were caught recently.

I'm thinking about writing an e-mail to first curator Kullander at NRM in Stockholm, Sweden and see if he can provide anymore details. Haven't done this before and I'm not sure he will reply to a curios hobbyist.

Mike do you know of any other described or undescribed species of Apistogramma from the Rio Trombetas, Para State, Brazil?

Regards / Chris

Z

Zeco

Hi,

Searching Neodat II for "genus = Apistogramma" and "drainage = Trombetas" I received the following result:

Acronym Genus Species Country State County Drainage
INPA Apistogramma sp Brazil Pará* Oriximinã Trombetas
INPA Apistogramma pertense Brazil Pará* Oriximinã Trombetas
NRM Apistogramma sp. Brazil Pará* - Trombetas
NRM Apistogramma agassizii Brazil Pará* - Trombetas
NRM Apistogramma taeniata Brazil Pará* - Trombetas
MZUSP Apistogramma pertensis Brazil Pará* - Trombetas
MZUSP Apistogramma pertensis Brazil Pará* - Trombetas

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Are there any pictures/drawings on the web that we could take a look at these new species?

No. The only photos are in the Kullander & Ferreira description & in the new DATZ publication. Both show photos by Kullander, and are the same.

By the way, is it true that A. Angayuara is even smaller than
A. Diplotaenia?

There are several apistos smaller that A. diplotaenia. A. meinkeni, A. sp. Courting-spot/Balzfleck, & A. sp. Weißsaum/White-seam come to mind. A. angayuara is even smaller. The largest specimen collected is a male that is 23.7 mm SL. This is the only apisto know to feed exclusively on protozoans!

Interesting that we obviously have two new species to the genus but not any pictures of a live specimen. Do you happen to know if the preserved fish has been around for some time, or if they were caught recently.

The specimens of both A. angayuara & A salpinction were collected in 1985 during a survey of aquatic fauna in areas of a planned hydroelectric reservoir. I have known of their existance for several years, but since they were not in the hobby or discussed anywhere I saw no reason to usurp Kullander's right to publish them first.

Mike do you know of any other described or undescribed species of Apistogramma from the Rio Trombetas, Para State, Brazil?

Zeco's list of species are fish that come from the lower Rio Trombetas, below the Cachoeira Porteira. Above the rapids 4 species are known: A. pertensis, A. angayuara, A salpinction, & a steindachneri-group species in the process of being described. Rivers draining the southern & westen Guianas Highlands are poorly explored, but several undescribed populations of the steindachneri-group occur there.

I'm thinking about writing an e-mail to first curator Kullander at NRM in Stockholm, Sweden and see if he can provide anymore details. Haven't done this before and I'm not sure he will reply to a curios hobbyist.

I have always found Dr. Kullander very cordial & quite giving of his knowledge - if he has the time. I don't recommend everyone inundating him with requests, however.

Z

Zeco

Neodat is an useful, but limited, resource to find museum data. It depends on the way as that the specimen fiche is filled. Sometimes it is filled as Trombetas drainage, sometimes, simply as Amazonian drainage.

Anyway, for those who use Google Earth, the estuary of the Trombetas river in the Amazon can be seen at 1° 47' S 55° 53 W; and Cacheira Porteira, at 1° 6' S 57° 2' W

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Copyof20111771.jpg
Copyof20111775.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Rio Urubu hasn't been extensively collected. The only species that in know for certain occurs there is A. cf. agassizii (Netz) (http://www.rva.ne.jp/zukan/apisto/ap_urubu.html). Other species that probably occur in the river include a steindachneri-group species (most likely A. hippolytae), a pertensis-complex species (most likely A. cf. pertensis), a regani-complex species like A. cf. regani or A. geisleri. You may even find a pulchra-complex species similar to A. sp. Branco. I suggest that you try your luck - and report back to us!

As you (and many others) have discovered, PMs are not the best way to contact me. I've given up trying to keep my in-box cleared out. You can always write to me here on the forum, or if it is of a personal nature, my email address is listed in my personal information.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….