• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

55g nannacara anomala tank stocking

Mhmd

I recently upgraded to a 55g corner tank, i used to have a 20g with a male and female nannacara anomala and few ember tetras as dither fish ( they are 22 now in the 55g).
I was wondering how many more anomalas can i add and which female/male ratio works best?

MacZ

I was wondering how many more anomalas can i add and which female/male ratio works best?
Completely depending on the footprint dimensions and structure of your tank. It can be as few as a single animal and up to six. And I have to stress this: It completely depends on the conditions.

Can you post a picture of the tank?

anewbie

In my 20 and now 40; i found my male was generally very tolerable of other dwarf cichlid but intolerable to other mature male nannacara - at least in close proximity. The females - well i had 2 in the 40 for a while and the tank was dense enough with plants that they generally avoided each other but they were not friendly towards each other and i can't really see two mature pairs of nannacara doing well in the same tank - this is of course different than raising frys or immature siblings. For some reason I've had great difficulty keeping the females alive - my male is nearing 4 years age; but the longest i've been able to keep a female is 18 months so now i just keep the male. Eventually he will pass and then i will turn the tank into a borelli colony i hope. He does seem to try to court the female borelli who is quite confused by his actions but other than spending time inbetween the male and female borelli - he never seems to bother the male - they have been together now just short of 10 months so I think the dynamics are stable. This isn't really a breeding tank as it has a fair number of cories and a pair of pleco who keep the male nannacara well fed. He has learned to spend much of his time totally motionless outside the pleco cave so there is that bonus.

Mhmd

In my 20 and now 40; i found my male was generally very tolerable of other dwarf cichlid but intolerable to other mature male nannacara - at least in close proximity. The females - well i had 2 in the 40 for a while and the tank was dense enough with plants that they generally avoided each other but they were not friendly towards each other and i can't really see two mature pairs of nannacara doing well in the same tank - this is of course different than raising frys or immature siblings. For some reason I've had great difficulty keeping the females alive - my male is nearing 4 years age; but the longest i've been able to keep a female is 18 months so now i just keep the male. Eventually he will pass and then i will turn the tank into a borelli colony i hope. He does seem to try to court the female borelli who is quite confused by his actions but other than spending time inbetween the male and female borelli - he never seems to bother the male - they have been together now just short of 10 months so I think the dynamics are stable. This isn't really a breeding tank as it has a fair number of cories and a pair of pleco who keep the male nannacara well fed. He has learned to spend much of his time totally motionless outside the pleco cave so there is that bonus.
Yes i heard that male nannacara will not tolerate another male, but will always be nice to other fish. So going for some apistos is better than having a community nannacara anomala tank.
Thank you

Mhmd

Completely depending on the footprint dimensions and structure of your tank. It can be as few as a single animal and up to six. And I have to stress this: It completely depends on the conditions.

Attachments

• 5E82D927-2B63-4357-BFEC-CE341D0C2107.jpeg
    5E82D927-2B63-4357-BFEC-CE341D0C2107.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 141
  • 97B5EDF5-4E41-47DE-B66E-16FD9AF0C7A4.jpeg
    97B5EDF5-4E41-47DE-B66E-16FD9AF0C7A4.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 135

MacZ

Great looking tank, but...

You have basically a big open plain. That is ok if you have one specimen. The rocks in the back an the side would be ok if you had Malawi cichlids or Steatocranus, but for dwarf cichlids this doesn't work out as a retreat. Breaking lines of sight is what is necessary. You could build a wall under the wood along the line in the middle of the circle section.

And then I would leave it with a pair.

MacZ

Just for comparison some pictures of my tank from when I build it and nowerdays. I love to use a number of smaller rocks as a base for the wood. The illustration is a schematic of how to build structures. For my tank I decided to use the long axis instead of the short

structure dwarf cichlids2.jpg
structure dwarf cichlids3.jpg
structure.jpg
structure dwarf cichlids.jpg

Mhmd

Great looking tank, but...

You have basically a big open plain. That is ok if you have one specimen. The rocks in the back an the side would be ok if you had Malawi cichlids or Steatocranus, but for dwarf cichlids this doesn't work out as a retreat. Breaking lines of sight is what is necessary. You could build a wall under the wood along the line in the middle of the circle section.

And then I would leave it with a pair.
Yes im holding the wood with the rocks in the back i am waiting for it to get water logged to change the scape, i will do that thank you.

I recently upgraded to a 55g corner tank, i used to have a 20g with a male and female nannacara anomala and few ember tetras as dither fish ( they are 22 now in the 55g).
Where were you able to find those fish? I have been looking everywhere

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….