• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

5 foot biotopish!

rr16

5 Year Member
I don't know about that Skoram - you can see the fish in yours without the use of a torch. I struggle to see all the fish and rarely see my discus. Yours looks really good - I like it.
Oh, and thanks, I didn't actually know it was called Sarracenia - thanks for that, saves me looking it up. It's been growing for a while now, as has the Venus fly trap. They seem to grow OK, presumably because they like heat and humidity. There are even lots of small insects in there but not sure how many they get. Sure they'll get more if I add crickets to feed the tree frogs when I get them. The carnivorous plants are in a plastic take away tub filled with peat, resting on the central glass cross bar, but it's hard to actually see the tub so works OK.
Thanks for the comments. Oh, and yes, it is Hydrocotyle leucocephala. It grew like crazy out of the top of the tank last year and all over the glassledges and is what gave me the inspiration for this. I have to prune it about twice a week!

rr16

5 Year Member
Well, I never knew Sarracenia was temperate to subtropical, depending on species. Still, it seems to be doing well at temperatures between about 68 and 80F so can't complain. I have fruit fly infestation around my food recycling caddy in the kitchen so sorely tempted to try collecting them and putting them in the tank!

skoram

your tank has the look that I one day hope to achieve with mine so there is no comparison. Although the fish are my priority, I have a great interest in planted tanks. I would be really interested to know what kind of lighting and fertilization, if any, that you use. I'm still experimenting a bit with the light levels on mine, and until now only use Basacote and of course fish waste as fertilizer.

Fertilizer/nutrients are actually the reason I did not think to try adding any carnivorous plants to my riparium. They typically grow in bogs and other areas that are almost totally devoid of nutrients, and fertilizers can actually harm them, or so I've read. If not for this, I think they could be a perfect addition to a riparium.

rr16

5 Year Member
I used to use JBL ferropol, but since I have re-done the tank I haven't added any fertilisers. I do have a lot of oak, catappa and some magnolia leaf litter in there which I suspect adds phosphates, amongst other things. I have also used Trachycarpus fronds - the ones that turn brown at the lower end of the stem. The plastic takeaway tub that has peat in receives some run-off from the water feature and stays moist through this and from condensation. It'll be interesting to see how everything does once I add more ventillation, which may lower the temperature. For lighting I just have two, 4 foot T5 tubes, one mounted the the front and one at the back, about 13-14 inches above the water level (the lid is around 12 inches high). I guess having the lid helps by keeping the temperature and humidity up (just hope the temperature stays high enough for tree frogs with the added ventillation, although I suspect there'll be warm enough pockets at night due to the leaves of the plants keeping some areas warmer - plus I always have a heat mat somewhere).
To be fair, this is only a couple of months of growth I think. The Hydrocotyle, Spathiphyllum and Ceratopteris are just fast growers really.

rr16

5 Year Member
The Amazon Sword is flowering!
DSC_0123.JPG

skoram

wow rr, I didn't think this tank could get any better but you have somehow accomplished it. the rain effect is amazing and the tree frog is a stunning addition!

Last edited:

rr16

5 Year Member
I have two frogs. I feed it live crickets and waxworm.

rr16

5 Year Member
Latest is that I found some rigid piping for cheap and used it for my rain system. This was yesterday - ran it for a few hours and after lights out this happened. Been like this ever since!

rr16

5 Year Member
They split up just before dusk last night. The male has been out now since I turned the rain on. May play some youtube clips of mating males to get him in the mood.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….