• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

5.5 gal Apisto tank mates

BraedonB

I have a 5.5 gallon tank with one 2" Apisto Regani. The tank is lightly planted and filtered with a sponge filter. I change 30-40% of the water per week. Would the tank be overstocked with a school of six neon tetras (which I already have) or black neon tetras? Could I even add a small, slow catfish like a kuhli loach instead/in addition? Other options for acceptable tank mates are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BraedonB

Thank you for your responses. The single Apisto is the only fish in the tank. The fish was labeled A. Regani, but who knows what species he actually is. I posted a thread a few months ago asking if anyone could ID him, but he was still a juvenile. I could move him to a 10 or 29 gallon tank if needed, but he seems to be doing quite well alone in the 5.5 (but of course I could be mistaken). Sorry the photos are not great quality.
ApistogrammaRegani7.JPG
ApistogrammaRegani8.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
One apisto in a 5.5 gal. tank is fine. Drayden & I both misread your post. We thought you had 2 apistos. Now, could you add 6 Neons to the tank? Yes, but it would tax any filtration system so careful management of water quality and not over-feeding would be important. BTW your apisto is not A. regani. The caudal spot is all wrong. I can't say for sure which species it is from the photo, but it's probably a eunotus-complex species.

hrafnagud

One apisto in a 5.5 gal. tank is fine. Drayden & I both misread your post. We thought you had 2 apistos. Now, could you add 6 Neons to the tank? Yes, but it would tax any filtration system so careful management of water quality and not over-feeding would be important. BTW your apisto is not A. regani. The caudal spot is all wrong. I can't say for sure which species it is from the photo, but it's probably a eunotus-complex species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
After 40+ years keeping apistos, I have accumulated a bookcase full of BOOKS on dwarf cichlids alone- English, German and even Japanese. It also helps that I have contacts with professional ichthyologists and serious apisto hobbyists who willingly help me. I've learned a lot over the years from others I respect.

Andreas

After 40+ years keeping apistos, I have accumulated a bookcase full of BOOKS on dwarf cichlids alone- English, German and even Japanese. It also helps that I have contacts with professional ichthyologists and serious apisto hobbyists who willingly help me. I've learned a lot over the years from others I respect.
Can you maybe name a few of the books names as I would really like to learn more about more species as there isnt much available online

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These are my 'go to' books when I need information. I also use my complete collection of scientific descriptions of apistos (and most other SA dwarf cichlids) and other articles either published in magazines or on line. Most are hobbyist oriented but many of the authors are published ichthyologists/taxonomists:

Bork, Dieter. 2005. “Aqualog Extra: The latest Apistogramma.Verlag A.C.S.

Glaser, Ulrich. 1996. “Aqualog Southamerican Cichlids II”. Verlag A.C.S.

Koslowski, Ingo. 1985. "Die Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt - Zwergcichliden". Reimar Hobbing GmbH. Essen.

Koslowski, Ingo. 2002. "Die Buntbarsche Amerikas – Band 2: Apistogramma & Co". Verlag Eugen Ulmer GmbH & Co. Stuttgart.

Kullander, Sven. 1980. "A taxonomical study of the genus Apistogramma Regan, with a revision of Brazilian and Peruvian species (Teleostei: Percoidei: Cichlidae)". Bonner Zoologische Monographien.

Kullander, Sven. 1986. "Cichlid Fishes of the Amazon River Drainage of Peru". Swedish Museum of Natural History. Cichlids Amazon.

Kullander, Sven & Hans Nijssen. 1989. “The cichlids of Surinam: Teleostei: Labroidei”. E. J. Brill.

Linke, Horst & Wolfgang Staeck. 1994. “American Cichlids I: A handbook for identification, care, and breeding”. Tetra Verlag. (revised ed. in German only)

Mayland, Hans J. & Dieter Bork. 1996. “South American dwarf cichlids: Apistogramma, Crenicara, Mikrogeophagus”. Verlag A.C.S. (Aqualog).

Römer, Uwe. 1998. "Cichlid Atlas 1: Natural History of South American Dwarf Cichlids". Mergus Verlag. v. 1

Römer, Uwe. 2006. "Cichlid Atlas 2. Natural History of South American Dwarf Cichlids.". Mergus Verlag, v. 2

Stawikowski, Rainer. 2005. "Datz-Special Publication: Südamerikanische Zwergcichliden/South American Dwarf Cichlids". Eugen Ulmer KG, Stuttgart.

Staeck, Wolfgang. 2003. "Cichliden Lexikon, Teil 3: Südamerikanische Zwergbuntbarsche". Dähne Verlag, Ettlingen, Germany. v. 3.

Andreas

These are my 'go to' books when I need information. I also use my complete collection of scientific descriptions of apistos (and most other SA dwarf cichlids) and other articles either published in magazines or on line. Most are hobbyist oriented but many of the authors are published ichthyologists/taxonomists:

Bork, Dieter. 2005. “Aqualog Extra: The latest Apistogramma.Verlag A.C.S.

Glaser, Ulrich. 1996. “Aqualog Southamerican Cichlids II”. Verlag A.C.S.

Koslowski, Ingo. 1985. "Die Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt - Zwergcichliden". Reimar Hobbing GmbH. Essen.

Koslowski, Ingo. 2002. "Die Buntbarsche Amerikas – Band 2: Apistogramma & Co". Verlag Eugen Ulmer GmbH & Co. Stuttgart.

Kullander, Sven. 1980. "A taxonomical study of the genus Apistogramma Regan, with a revision of Brazilian and Peruvian species (Teleostei: Percoidei: Cichlidae)". Bonner Zoologische Monographien.

Kullander, Sven. 1986. "Cichlid Fishes of the Amazon River Drainage of Peru". Swedish Museum of Natural History. Cichlids Amazon.

Kullander, Sven & Hans Nijssen. 1989. “The cichlids of Surinam: Teleostei: Labroidei”. E. J. Brill.

Linke, Horst & Wolfgang Staeck. 1994. “American Cichlids I: A handbook for identification, care, and breeding”. Tetra Verlag. (revised ed. in German only)

Mayland, Hans J. & Dieter Bork. 1996. “South American dwarf cichlids: Apistogramma, Crenicara, Mikrogeophagus”. Verlag A.C.S. (Aqualog).

Römer, Uwe. 1998. "Cichlid Atlas 1: Natural History of South American Dwarf Cichlids". Mergus Verlag. v. 1

Römer, Uwe. 2006. "Cichlid Atlas 2. Natural History of South American Dwarf Cichlids.". Mergus Verlag, v. 2

Stawikowski, Rainer. 2005. "Datz-Special Publication: Südamerikanische Zwergcichliden/South American Dwarf Cichlids". Eugen Ulmer KG, Stuttgart.

Staeck, Wolfgang. 2003. "Cichliden Lexikon, Teil 3: Südamerikanische Zwergbuntbarsche". Dähne Verlag, Ettlingen, Germany. v. 3.
Thanks alot I am gonna have a look around

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….