• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

35gal, long, community or breeding

ZanaZoola14

Getting two new 35gallon longs, around 3 foot, 140 ish litres.

What would people say would be their favourite sort of fish or things to do with such tank? Community, breeding, crab?

I'm thinking about possibly doing a skittish community including scarlet badis, sparkling gourami and the such. What wojld people think on something like this? How would people set something up like this in their opinion? I'm used to cichlids, so going something new here and want to fish for ideas.

What set ups do people have in tanks of similar size? What would you like to do in a tank like this?

The second tank will most likely be for me to move my unrelated pair of cockatoo apistos into to breed them more directly rather than in the community they are currently in.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My largest tank, at least for fish, is a 40 Breeder (90x45x40cm). I have 2 other larger tanks but they are only for treating water (R/O & peat filtering). My 40 breeder if planted and only has smaller South American tetras and cory cats. My only 'problem' is that the Hemmigrammus rodwayi keep breeding and producing fry I don't really need; lots of silver tetras.

I suggest you decide what fish you prefer and then read as much about them - from reliable sources - and decide if it will work.

ZanaZoola14

My largest tank, at least for fish, is a 40 Breeder (90x45x40cm). I have 2 other larger tanks but they are only for treating water (R/O & peat filtering). My 40 breeder if planted and only has smaller South American tetras and cory cats. My only 'problem' is that the Hemmigrammus rodwayi keep breeding and producing fry I don't really need; lots of silver tetras.

I suggest you decide what fish you prefer and then read as much about them - from reliable sources - and decide if it will work.
I'm more searching ideas, which then will be researching into further each of them. I have what I like as such, wanting to know what others would like to help further my horizon.

MacZ

I mean... you're asking on a forum where basically everybody keeps dwarf cichlids of some sort. You might find us not that "creative".

ZanaZoola14

I mean... you're asking on a forum where basically everybody keeps dwarf cichlids of some sort. You might find us not that "creative".
Well, I've only kept to the basics of dwarf cichlids, and wanted to know whether there was anything further I could do. Done apistos, rams and kribs, I know there is more to it then that.

MacZ

Done apistos, rams and kribs, I know there is more to it then that.
There are roundabout 100 scientifically described distinct species of Apistogramma, with some dozen waiting for description, 3 of Mikrogeophagus and at least 8 species of Pelvicachromis.

Considering the wide variety of Apistogramma, you can't "have done" them all. Mikrogeophagus... well, possible, Pelvicachromis then not so much anymore.

And then there are other species genera with 1 to X species each:
South America: Apistogrammoides, Nannacara, Laetacara, Taeniacara, Ivanacara, Dicrossus, Crenicara, smaller Crenicichla, Biotoecus
West/Central Africa: Anomalochromis, Wallaceochromis, Lamprologus, Steatocranus, Congochromis, Nanochromis, Limbochromis, Chromidotilapia, Benitochromis, Pseudocrenilabrus

Knock yourself out.

ZanaZoola14

There are roundabout 100 scientifically described distinct species of Apistogramma, with some dozen waiting for description, 3 of Mikrogeophagus and at least 8 species of Pelvicachromis.

Considering the wide variety of Apistogramma, you can't "have done" them all. Mikrogeophagus... well, possible, Pelvicachromis then not so much anymore.

And then there are other species genera with 1 to X species each:
South America: Apistogrammoides, Nannacara, Laetacara, Taeniacara, Ivanacara, Dicrossus, Crenicara, smaller Crenicichla, Biotoecus
West/Central Africa: Anomalochromis, Wallaceochromis, Lamprologus, Steatocranus, Congochromis, Nanochromis, Limbochromis, Chromidotilapia, Benitochromis, Pseudocrenilabrus

Knock yourself out.
Alright thanks. Done apistos as done those I've been able to source. I hope to be able to source more, but struggling to do so at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….