• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2nd Male Cacatuoides

HookedOnFish_MI

Hello! I had a male and female orange flash in a 75 gallon with some rasboras. I found the female dead today, likely from stress from being moved around a bit due to a recent tank leak, and maybe being pestered too much. All I ever saw was the male shaking his stuff at her. Calling all over town, no one has any, except the place I got my pair from. However all they have are males. They are reds, which I was looking for anyways, picturing having myself a couple males and a few females in there. Would it be ok to pick up a 2nd male now until I can find some females at a later date? I’m just unsure if they’ll be after each other non stop with no female distractions.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A properly decorated 75 should easily handle 2 male cacatuoides. If it were me, I would remove the present male from the tank, rearrange the decor somewhat and introduce both at the same time. In that way neither has a previously established territory. Also quarantine the new apisto before adding to the tank.

HookedOnFish_MI

A properly decorated 75 should easily handle 2 male cacatuoides. If it were me, I would remove the present male from the tank, rearrange the decor somewhat and introduce both at the same time. In that way neither has a previously established territory. Also quarantine the new apisto before adding to the tank.
Thank you for the advice! How long do you typically quarantine for?

HookedOnFish_MI

Also @Mike Wise , would you consider this “properly decorated”? I would like to get more plants in there.

C90FF37D-B406-47E5-848B-DD2F9FF16D20.jpeg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
would you consider this “properly decorated”? I would like to get more plants in there.

No. It is much too open. If they can readily see each other across the tank there are no visual territorial boundaries

How long do you typically quarantine for?

I typically quarantine for a minimum of 4 - 6 weeks. If the fish is looking/behaving normal then I put it in its new home. If something is not quite right then it stays in quarantine even longer. I've even had fish breed while in quarantine.

HookedOnFish_MI

No. It is much too open. If they can readily see each other across the tank there are no visual territorial boundaries

I typically quarantine for a minimum of 4 - 6 weeks. If the fish is looking/behaving normal then I put it in its new home. If something is not quite right then it stays in quarantine even longer. I've even had fish breed while in quarantine.
Ok, thanks for the information. If you don’t mind, I’ll ping you again in the future to see what you think when I add a bit to it.

Last edited:

FishMonkey

Your tank is looking really good.

Housing more than one male is really a decision of do you want a nice looking tank or do you want a messy jungle where it's hard to see all your fish at once.

HookedOnFish_MI

Hi all,

I think it will pretty soon be one male, for the reason @Mike Wise gives.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for the feedback. But they can’t see each other across the tank due to all the plants and wood, unless they are in the upper water column, which is only at eating times. I put the 2nd male in on Sunday and so far so good. The original male followed the new guy around for a while while flaring up. But now they don’t seem to bug each other. However, that may change once I find a few females to put in there. Thoughts?

FishMonkey

Add as many females as you can find and hope for the best.

A few big plants wouldn't hurt but they may mess up your aquascape of a clean open look is what you're going for.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I think your tank is still to open, what works for me is I take a log and run it from front to back mid tank than plant tall plants from front to back thick line of plants. If you want a more open tank then it probably wont work out to well when you add females to it, if you want to have males and females in the tank than you will need to give the fish what they [need] to have harmony in the tank. Good luck

HookedOnFish_MI

I think your tank is still to open, what works for me is I take a log and run it from front to back mid tank than plant tall plants from front to back thick line of plants. If you want a more open tank then it probably wont work out to well when you add females to it, if you want to have males and females in the tank than you will need to give the fish what they [need] to have harmony in the tank. Good luck
Thank you for the advice. I will look for taller plants for the middle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….