• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 week color change agassizii

FishPharm

I got my agassizii pair two weeks ago today and the males dorsal and caudal fins are now orange instead of yellow. Is this just getting older, from better conditions in my tank with live foods etc, or is color change in males normal around breeding time like in females turning yellow? Thanks
EF3796B5-F2F8-41B1-941E-ECA2FEC19688.jpeg
21E12C52-0D9C-4BF1-A219-17E065C4BB54.jpeg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is probably the better food and water conditions. Most people find their fish lose color. Also the exposure and color balance of the 2 photos are subtly different, but not to the extent it should matter too much.

FishPharm

It is probably the better food and water conditions. Most people find their fish lose color. Also the exposure and color balance of the 2 photos are subtly different, but not to the extent it should matter too much.
Ok thank you. I’m not sure what color balance or exposure differences means; I took both with the same phone but yes he is definitely not yellow anymore. I’m surprised people would find their fish lose color. I’m now guessing this is perhaps a double red agassizii? Would you ID it as such? Thank you

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
from better conditions in my tank with live foods etc
Diet and better water. Have a look for <"carotenoids">.
I’m now guessing this is perhaps a double red agassizii? Would you ID it as such? Thank you
I used to own some similar fish and they bred true, so I'd guess it is a line bred form. My fish weren't sold as "wild caught" they were from the Czech republic.

This is an incredibly poor video, but all the males looked like this.

cheers Darrel

FishPharm

Hi all,

Diet and better water. Have a look for <"carotenoids">.

I used to own some similar fish and they bred true, so I'd guess it is a line bred form. My fish weren't sold as "wild caught" they were from the Czech republic.

This is an incredibly poor video, but all the males looked like this.

cheers Darrel
Thank you. Their diet so far has mainly consisted of frozen blood worms, a small about of frozen brine shrimp with spirulina (which they mostly just spit out), live black worms and live moina. I’d assume the moina contain the carotenoids? They have no interest in flakes or pellets, I’ve tried multiple types of each and varying sizes as well.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Sounds a good mixed diet.
They have no interest in flakes or pellets
You could try <"Fluval Bugbites">.
I’d assume the moina contain the carotenoids?
I don't know, it might be the Brine shrimps. Cladocerans, (Daphnia, Moina etc.) aren't meant to be a good source of carotenoids, but presumably that depends on what they are eating and might just refer to yeast fed ones.
mainly consisted of frozen blood worms
I'm not a <"frozen Bloodworm fan">.

cheers Darrel

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I’m not sure what color balance or exposure differences means
Unless you manually set such camera settings, your phone makes decisions about how much light to collect and what temperature to render the colors based on context. It’s hard to compare colors in photos taken at different times without processing both photos against a common reference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….