• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female Borelli or Sub-Male?

Paulvechkin

im sure you guys get 100s of these questions but I can't seem to find a definitive answer for myself.

So I purchased these two apistos under the name "Borelli" and they look they part, I can't tell if my smaller one is female or a sub-male. It's way smaller than my male but still has the blue specks on its cheeks, but it's body is more yellow than the one I know is male. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 408
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 399

Gillie

5 Year Member
I can't see the fish in question well enough to say male or female, but you do have sp. Steel Blue not borellii.

Paulvechkin

(S)he tends to stick to the darker corners in plant cover so I can't get the best photos. Hopefully this one is better. Is steel blue not a variance of Borelli?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 324

Paulvechkin

Alright noted, any clue if I have a female? It has black lines on its pectoral fins which I've heard is a indicator of it being female? True?

My Panduro's where much easier lol

gerald

5 Year Member
Maybe female - can't really be sure yet. Time will tell. "Steel blue" is a captive-bred strain or hybrid of A. caetei or its close relatives, so most of the info you find on that species should apply to steel blue too. They are difficult to sex, and females are not common in the pet trade. The commercial farms apparently raise them in conditions that favor males.

Paulvechkin

New pics, first two are of my possible female.
The second two show my make starting the go blue.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 291
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 331
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 272
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 286

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The first one does look like it might be a female. Your Nerite(s) seems to be doing well, do you know how hard the water is?

cheers Darrel

Paulvechkin

Yah my two nerites are very fertile lol.
My water here in Alberta is hard, which I know isn't ideal but the breeder said both parents were tank raised and Bred in tap water here, so there's hope they may breed.

gerald

5 Year Member
That's good you got locally-bred fish - more likely to have both sexes -- and if not, at least you know where to get more. There's several Apisto species that do pretty well in hard water, even if it's not their native water conditions.

Paulvechkin

That's good you got locally-bred fish - more likely to have both sexes -- and if not, at least you know where to get more. There's several Apisto species that do pretty well in hard water, even if it's not their native water conditions.

Yah locally bred is a must where I live.PH and hardness here are both high and without an RO system or chemical buffers it's impossible to lower. My Panduro's just bred in tap water, though the eggs didn't hatch or the Angels got the fry (55g tank)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….