• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help sexing A. Cacatouides

Cozens

I bought 4 Apistos from Maidenhead Aquatics in Keynsham, Bristol. 3 Females and 1 male. However 2 of the females seem to be growing orange on the tail and dorsal fin.Probably a silly question but is this normal for females? I have looked online but everywhere just describes the females as a dull yellow colour which enhances in brisghtness during breeding. thanks in advance.
IMG_8008.JPG
IMG_8014.JPG
IMG_7943.JPG

Gillie

5 Year Member
It looks like the sexes are accurate and it is normal for tank strain females to develop coloration. Most descriptions are written based on wild specimens.

Cozens

Cool, thank you, I shall keep an eye on their development, I did wonder whether commercial breeding would confuse original genes due to the intensity of breeders bringing out colours. Thanks for your input, wanted to be sure in case it was a sneaker male and I'd end up with a battleground on my hands!

Kyle

Gillie

5 Year Member
There is always a chance that there is a sneaker male, some strains have males with a yellowish body color, but I think you're pretty safe.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Also reading through the thread I just noticed where you got the fish from, and that you are based in Chew Magna. You'll find there aren't a huge number of Apistogramma keepers locally.

I work at BSU, so just up the road from you. If you want any plants or food cultures etc PM me, and we can arrange a meet somewhere.

cheers Darrel

Cozens

That's pretty cool isn't it, yeah my company Aquatak are based just next to the esso petrol station in Winford on the Chew Road. What a coincidence :) yeah would be cool to meet up sometime, always happy to talk about my fish if anyone is interested enough to listen haha. I'm sure you have lots of information I'd be glad to learn as this is my first time keeping Apistos.

Kyle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….