• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Tank

Munroco

Set up a new tank about 5 weeks ago, plants all doing great so I introduced 10 cardinals and 6 otocinclus, and am planning on adding 6 or so corys in the next day or two all being well.

Tank is 55 gals - 4 ft long, PH is around 6.5, my plan was 2 pairs/trios of apistogrammas. (Species depending on whats available at LFS) Should I get 2 pairs of same type or can i keep 2 different species, and are pairs or trios better.

Cheers

Neil

ADC Nederland

I would advise if you are going for 2 trio's to get the same species. My experience is that the males will have better / more options in regards to the females, which will split and lower aggressive behavior.

However, nothing can be guaranteed when getting more then 1 male in the same tank. Make sure you have plenty of hiding places and feel free to share a photo of your new tank, we might be able to help you a bit in regards to your hardscape.

Munroco

My tank :) got to admit, I'm pretty pleased with myself/

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 440

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Nice tank, plants are good and I'd definitely add some "caves". You may just be able to re-arrange your cobbles to create natural caves.

I started with PVC pipe coated with silicone and rolled in sand, but now I mainly use 1/2 coconuts with a small notch cut from the rim, and moss/ferns super-glued to the top. Coconut cave are indestructible and the sand doesn't fall off.

I also have a lot of "structural" leaf litter, and I'm pretty sure that one of the female agassizii I have has been using that to spawn in.

Dead leaves are great, I have them in all the tanks. Have a look at: "All the leaves are brown".

For some more cave bits have a look at these posts <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/ideal-spawning-cave.15329/#post-81261> & <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/leaf-litter.17698/#post-85763>.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hope you don't expect to produce any/many apisto fry in this tank. Schools of Cardinal Tetras are infamous fry predators; corys can be efficient egg eaters, too. It will make a lovely community tank however.

ADC Nederland

I think Mike is right, I completely forgot about the other fish when giving my advise. I've been lucky a couple of times with Tetra's in our living room tank but like Mike said, if you want to dedicate to breeding it might not be the best match.

Munroco

Thanks for suggestions guys, I do rather hope they will breed, but I after reading the replies, I'm gonna need another tank if I'm gonna raise any. Only just got this one so wife may take a bit of persuading. Added my Corys today, 6 beautiful little Sterbaes, and 10 Nannostoma Beckfordi. I went to shop planning on buying Emperor Tetras, but the pencilfish looked great so I went for them instead. Will look into the leaf idea, I've seen these in pics and they look very natural.

Last edited:

rr16

5 Year Member
If you got Apistogramma panduro you may end up with some fry as I've managed some with tetras, but mine has lots and lots of leaf litter in it. Also, you may only get one pair of A. panduro in there as they're pretty fierce when breeding, but actually, in a 4 footer, maybe two pairs (only ever kept one pair at a time). My A. agassizi females have spawned in caves made from dead oak leaves (just leaf litter) on several occasions now (unfortunately there's none survived) and my A. panduro female brooded in a leaf litter cave too!

MonteSS

LOL I posted on CDL about the jewel you got.

You should pop on our Teamspeak. Lot of fun there.

Munroco

Against what was almost certainly sound advice, I went for 2 different types (I know, I'm an idiot but I just couldn't resist), trios of A.Cacatuoides and A.Agassizii. I was very surprised at the size of fish the shop were selling, much bigger than I expected. £15 per trio. Pics of Agassizii male and Cacatuoides female. A pretty little Agassizii female, and trio of Cacatuoides. No carnage yet

Attachments

• apistogramma a and c.jpg
    apistogramma a and c.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 357
  • apistogramma agassizi.jpg
    apistogramma agassizi.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 327
  • apistogramma caucatoides trio.jpg
    apistogramma caucatoides trio.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 356

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
That is a very "tubby" pair of A. agassizii, and the male is nicely coloured. You don't normally get them looking like that in shops, so I wonder if they are fish that some-one has brought in?

cheers Darrel

MonteSS

Nice pickup. They should do fine in that big of a tank.

Couple Angels would be great in there too. I was never into Angels but really enjoy them. I have two with the apistos and all get along great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….