• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Axelrodia reisei

Gillie

5 Year Member
I am looking into tankmates for my bitaeniata trio and I am trying to decide between n. marginatus and the A. reisei. Is there anyone that has experience with the reisei that can give me any info on possible fry predation?

Tom C

5 Year Member
I always keep some Axelrodia riesei, they are indeed very beautiful:

resizeimage.aspx

They live in the Rio Meta drainage in Colombia, and the Rio Orinoco drainage in Venezuela.
They have therefore most likely never seen an Apistogramma bitaeniata, and vice versa.

I usually keep them as dither/target fish in tanks with Apistogramma from the same area, for example Apistogramma macmasteri and Apistogramma sp. "Schwarzkehl".
I have never observed them taking fry, but as the number of fry sometimes decrease significantly the first week of freeswimming, I cannot conclude that they never take any fry.

I have collected Apistogramma bitaeniata many times in the wild in Peru, and quite often Nannostoms marginatus are found in the net together with them.
Here is what I got in the net in the Rio Ampiyacu area, Peru, in 2006; Apistogramma bitaeniata with some larger Pyrrhulina species, and Nannostomus marginatus (to the left):

resizeimage.aspx

So I always combine Peruvian Apistogramma bitaeniata with a Peruvian form of Nannostomus marginatus...

I wish you good luck!
'

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….