• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Steatocranus sp. Kwango River

Dparks1987

Hey guys,

This is my first post here though I have been to the site several times in the past. Just recently I noticed a couple of cichlids that came in with a batch of s. casuarius that were not common buffalo heads. I separated them out and purchased them, I have 7 total at the moment in a 125. I have attached some pics of them for everyone to take a look at. I have already shared the pictures with Ted Judy and Jeff Micheals in the hope of figuring out what these fish could be. If any one else here has come across them before I would love to hear about it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,277
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 851
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 766
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 766
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 715

gerald

5 Year Member
Maybe S. glaber or S. mpozoensis? I have seen them (or something very similar) in a shop 10+ years ago, but never tried to ID them.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I checked with Uli Schliewen in Munich, Germany on your behalf. He is the guy who collected many of the new Steatocranus species and spread them widely among hobbyists in Europe. Turns out, Uli is out of the office until the middle of November; probably collecting in Africa. I will let you know what he has to say, when he replies. The fish look a little bit like the Steatocranus sp. Bulky Head that Oliver Lucanus sold a couple of years ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if Uli came up with a different ID. Either way, nice find.

Dparks1987

Thank you all for your replies and thank you very much to Nebraska cichlids for passing this info on to Uli. I have seen the pic posted as "bulky head," on cichlid companion and thought it was a close match as well but could to tell for sure. I also found some pics of Dwarf red eyes that looked similar but Ted pointed out that the head appears to large to be red eye.

I am super excited about these fish and they really seem to be doing great! Any one have any experience breeding the likes of these fish? Anything in particular I should do/look out for?

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I have spawned a variety of Steatocranus and never had a problem using tap water, which is pretty hard around here. I am keeping two small groups of the Bulky Head (ID'd by Anton Lamboj) in two different tanks, but have not had any luck breeding them yet. Keep in mind that Steatocranus are cave spawners.

Dparks1987

Hey Nebraska would you happen to have any pics of the bulky heads you are keeping? Would love to do some comparing.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I took some pictures this afternoon, but will not have the time to transfer them to my computer until Sunday. I will let you know when I have them ready for you or will simply post them here. The pics aren't great. I have more patience with fish than with the camera.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, but that's the best I could do last night.Steatocranus sp. Bulky Head1.jpg Steatocranus sp. Bulky Head2.jpg You may want to download the paper by J. Schwarzer et al. (one of Uli's collaborators) from the web; it was published in 2011 in the Journal of Evolutionary Biology and includes images of many of the "new" Steatocranus species discovered by Uli.

gerald

5 Year Member
Cichlids of the lower Congo River - a new model system in speciation research?
Julia Schwarzer
– Dissertation 2012 http://hss.ulb.uni-bonn.de/2012/2814/2814.htm

(FREE download; no subscription required) full document pdf = 21 MB, takes ~ 5 min.
Steatocranus and Nanochromis species photos on page 73 (= pdf page 86)
"Reticulate phylogeny" diagram (based on hybrid species origins) of Steatocranus on page 98 (= pdf page 111)
Happy reading. Prepare for quiz
next Thursday on cichlid phylogeny |;>)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….