• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wine Co2

dwarvenlove

So, I'm thinking about starting a diy Co2 reactor. Has anyone ever used fermenting wine as a source? I thought this to be a cool idea, but am unsure if it could be toxic to the fish.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Interesting idea. You're thinking that maybe some of the alcohol volatilizes and gets into the water? I'm not sure that can happen. I'm not even sure that would generate enough CO2 to be worth your while...

regani

5 Year Member
that should work. in principle it is the same as your average DIY CO2 reactor. the only difference will be that you have less sugar per liter/gallon so you get less CO2 per volume, but you should be able to make up for that by using a larger volume and/or changing the reactor more often. my DIY system made from a soft drink bottle runs out of steam by the end of the second week...

dwarvenlove

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try my hand at wine making this year, and i figured i could multit-task a bit. I'll try to get some pics on here to show every one what I'm working on, and possibly turn this into a cool experiment.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Best not to expect the wine making as the basis of a DIY CO2 system and keep the projects separate except the yeast starter should work well enough.
The yeast/jelly method Darrel mentions is intriguing, at least as far as DIY CO2 goes.

cichlidmac

it won't be consistent, it will be very active at first (probably too active for fish) and then it will die down to almost nothing for a month or so. I've brewed thousands of beers and have helped my friend with wine as well.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….