• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can anyone please identify these plants?

davidjp1982

Donating Member
The guy at my local fish store is friendly enough but in his own words "has no idea" what the plants are that he sells. I have previously bought plants that turned out not to be aquatic at all and merely rotted away after a time. I just wonder if anyone could identify the plants that I currently have in my tank:

I believe the one on the left is Anubias? And the one on the right Wisteria? The Wisteria seems to be the only plant that flourishes in my tank - roots like crazy !
20130404_122847.jpg

Am coming to the conclusion that these two are non aquatic plants..either that or they just don't want to know in my aquarium! Any ideas?
20130404_122838.jpg

prototop

5 Year Member
I think the one on the right, in the first picture, is hygrophila difformis. The other one might be anubias, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a non-aquatic stemplant of some sort. I don't know the plant in the second picture, but I suspect it isn't aquatic either.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The plants in the second photo are a plant that was sold as a 'jade fern' 40 years ago. It is related to the house plant called a 'corn plant' and is terrestrial. It will rot away. If you - like me - aren't strong on plant ID, then look for plants that don't have heavy/woody stems. This is a prime indicator that they are terrestrial. Aquatic plants really don't need heavy stems to support their leaves. That's what they use water for.

cichlidmac

Top left plant is not an anubias. You should have a decent sized rhizome at the bottom and I don't see one.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

gerald

5 Year Member
The "not Anubias" plant might be a peace lily, Spathiphyllum (non-aquatic). The corn-like plants in 2nd photo are Dracaena (non-aquatic). Stores and growers LOVE to sell non-aquatics because they don't die right away, but last just long enough to be enjoyable for a few months, then the customers comes back to buy more.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Wow thanks for all the responses :) The plant I believed to be Anubias does indeed have a rhizome it is just underneath / behind the coconut shell to the left so you cant see it in the photo. I have ditched the non aquatic suspects and ordered up some water sprites from eBay which I gather are actually anther form of the wisteria in the other photo. I think I will stick to eBay for my aquatic plants from now on if I can find a good supplier :) thanks for all your help.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
The "not Anubias" plant might be a peace lily, Spathiphyllum (non-aquatic). The corn-like plants in 2nd photo are Dracaena (non-aquatic). Stores and growers LOVE to sell non-aquatics because they don't die right away, but last just long enough to be enjoyable for a few months, then the customers comes back to buy more.

Sound about right to me - also thought you might appreciate the new non gaudy substrate ;)

gerald

5 Year Member
"... water sprites from eBay which I gather are actually anther form of the wisteria"
Nope - their leaf shapes are similar but they are not at all related. Water sprite is a true fern (see how the new leaves unroll from a spiral, in typical fern "fiddlehead" fashion), and grows from the base (no vertical stem). Water wisteria is a flowering plant, a type of Hygrophila, with leaves along branching stems.

Yup - i DO appreciate the new gravel. Hopefully it wont nauseate and kill any more fish like the old stuff did |:>)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Like the other have said, Hygrophila difformis (which is not the same plant as Ceratopteris thalictroides). Water Sprite (C. thalictroides) it is an excellent plant.

Have a look at Apistobob's web-site for plants, it is a very useful site - <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_plants.php>.

The stem plant is Dracaena sanderiana, the same plant as "Lucky Bamboo".

I also think the Aroid possibly isn't an Anubias, but may be Spathiphyllum. Anubias has a much thicker, tougher leaf. If it has a leathery leaf it probably is an Anubias.

cheers Darrel

cichlidmac

Wow I've had my water sprite a long time and forgot what a single stem looked like. Shame on me. Here's a pic of what yours will look like in no time.
uploadfromtaptalk1365572952289.jpg

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Wow thanks for the responses - I bought a bunch of water srpite stems on ebay but they just dont seem to be taking :(

cichlidmac

Wow thanks for the responses - I bought a bunch of water srpite stems on ebay but they just dont seem to be taking :(
Float some then plant some in the substrate with a little root showing don't bury the roots completely. Also they love a dirted substrate.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Float some then plant some in the substrate with a little root showing don't bury the roots completely. Also they love a dirted substrate.

thanks I've been floating them for a week or so now the fish really seem to like them as a feature to shelter under and I think they actually look pretty nice and natural just floating so will most likely leave them like that :)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
thanks I've been floating them for a week or so now the fish really seem to like them as a feature to shelter under and I think they actually look pretty nice and natural just floating so will most likely leave them like that
That is why I like them. They are fine as a floater, even if you start by planting them, over time new plants will form on the older leaves and float off.

You can see them as a "floater" in this tank:
top_view.jpg

cheers Darrel

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Your first photo is definitely showing a stem of Hygrophila difformis aka Water Wisteria and not Water Sprite.
H. difformis is a stem plant with opposing pairs of leaves. The Ceratopteris spp. aka Water Sprites are all ferns.
One of my favored aquarium plant sources is www.aquariumplants.com.
I have never been disappointed with their plants and service.
They provide some info about most of the plants they sell.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Hey thanks for the response I checked out the site but as I live in the UK would probe expensive ordering from US site I think. Thanks for the plant ID

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….