• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

prettiest FEMALE apisto?

jase101

5 Year Member
hi there gentle fish-folk,

i'm setting up a new tank and would like some opinions on the prettiest female apistos - the males are all much of a muchness to me, but i love the females in breeding colours, and would like a species where the female is strongly yellow and black.

i've kept cacs, agassizi, borelli, hongsloi, macmasterii, panduro (she was the prettiest female i've ever kept) and nijsenni, so if you have any other thoughts i'd be glad to hear them.

thanks,

justin

Tom C

5 Year Member
They are all so beautiful........

A picture taken just a few days ago:
A breeding female Apistogramma rositae (Wild) in threatening position:

resizeimage.aspx

peterK

5 Year Member
I think most of Apistogramma females are nice. My top is Nijsseni Complex, especially Panduro (as you wrote), and A. baenschi. On the third place of species I've kept will be A. hongsloi female:
pict0175yv9.jpg

jase101

5 Year Member
thanks for the replies - and that rositae is stunning!!

now i just have to see what comes in in the next shipments - a couple of good fish shops are getting apistos in pre-xmas, so fingers crossed!

Bilbo

5 Year Member
They are all stunning when they put on their gold dresses.
Have to say that rositae of Toms is a beauty though.

My favorite is any of mine that are defending fry, especially and hopefully bitaeniata.

briztoon

5 Year Member
Well the only female I have a decent photo of is one of my agassizii females.

011.jpg

My nijsseni female is probably my favourite, but I've yet to get a decent photo of her.

Of my two new aquisitions, I believe the female Apistogramma sp. "Black-chin/Schwarzkinn" will be a looker, while the female Apistogramma gephyra is a very drab grey.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Super red german-bred eliza, the one with 3 black dots on the body side and golden orange coloration is cool!

ste12000

5 Year Member
There are so many and when they bring out their fry in that beautiful golden yellow they are all the nicest fish on the planet..I love baenschi, nijsseni and elizabethae but for me the most stunning female must be a female panduro, the colours seem far more vivid than other species..This cf panduro female brought out her fry this afternoon..

DSCF0116.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….