• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Plants for apistogramma agassizii

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
My agassizii are in here....
IMG_0028.jpg

Any plants you can grow they will appreciate IME/O.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Crinum?

Hi all,
I use the same ones as ApistoBob, other plant suggestions- Potamogeton gayii and Salvina as a floating plant.

That's a lovely tank Ed, can you give us some details? lighting, substrate, pH, KH fertiliser/CO2 etc.
Are the 2 large plants with the crinkly leaves a Crinum sp.? and how long have you had them?

However I start with my tanks I also end with a total tangle of Java fern etc.
I think benign neglect does have its advantages as I did some maintenance recently and found a large plant of Bolbitis heudelotii, which I got from Greenline as a tiny rhizome fragment about 3 years ago, and I hadn't seen since, and a small thread like Utricularia, which I've never bought.

cheers Darrel

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
That's a lovely tank Ed, can you give us some details? lighting, substrate, pH, KH fertiliser/CO2 etc.
Are the 2 large plants with the crinkly leaves a Crinum sp.? and how long have you had them?

The tank is 180l with 90W of High Output T5 lighting with gull-wing reflectors. Water is pure RO water with a mix of Kent's RO Right and Seachem's Equilibrium to remineralise it to give me 0dKH, 3dGH and a pH of about 5 and a half (this varies with the CO2). CO2 is injected during daylight hours and measured with a drop checker to give me 30ppm of CO2 in the tank. I dose 25ml of my own mix of trace minerals and Potassium sulphate and 25ml of my own mix of Potassium Nitrate and Potassium Phosphate every day or so. Substrate is ADA Aquasoil which provides a lot of fertilsation too.

There are 5 Crinum calamistratum in there (but they're too tall for the tank really and are probably going to removed soon to go in another, deeper tank). Other plants include 4 types of Echinodorus, 2 types of Hygrohpila, 2 types of Rotala, 4 types of moss, 5 types of Anubias and glosso, HC, hairgrass, Nymphaea maculata and Ludwigia helminthorhiza floating on the top!

I wrote an article about setting up a tank like this which is on the UKAPS website, higher-tech-tank.htm.

dw1305

5 Year Member
High Tech Tank

Thanks Ed,
Enjoyed the APS thread, having read it I think it probably explains why you have an aquascape and I have a random tangle of "difficult to kill" plants.

I think I'll probably have to stay low-tech, low maintenance and low cost, and console myself with the thought that the fish don't mind.
cheers Darrel

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I know it seems like a lot of work but once it's set up it's not too bad. I give the tank and large water change every week or so and dose every few days (as I forget to do it each day - just gone to the tank to give it a dose today as I'm thinking about it! lol!) and feed the fish two to three times a day.

It's probably not the best set up to spawn dwarfs in though as my three female agassiziis have all laid eggs in the past few weeks and none have survived!

jase101

5 Year Member
it's got much more to do with your ability as an aquatic gardener than the agassizi's preferences - they just see cover, detours, and sight-line breaks.

i keep dwarfs in tanks crowded with amazon swords and lotus, or plush with stem plants, or anubis - anything that takes your fancy, unless of course you're looking at biotopes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….