• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

did they breed?

Howe

5 Year Member
hey guys,

long time lurker! first time poster :p

anywho, two weeks ago I got my first batch of apisto's they were labed "double reds apistos" later research, I found out they're Apistogramma agassizi

I managed to get 1 male and 5 females (mind you for the life of me I can only ever find 2 or 3 females at a time)
but over the last three days one of my females turned bright yellow with bold red fins, and sitsunder a fake slate rock all day.
and now the male who used to chase her, is chased off by her and just tries to beat up my rams (which just take the abuse and don't seem to even mind it)

now I can't find any eggs just by look as she picked out a spot were I can't see all of the cave, but does what I discribed here mean theres a good chance I've got some eggs in there some were? or is this some other behavor I haven't read about and I'm mistaking it for post spawning behavor?

jase101

5 Year Member
it sounds very much like it - the turn-about bullying and bright colours would suggest there are eggs. don't disturb things, just see what happens - but keep an eye on your sub females - they could be in for a hammering if the alpha has babies.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm having the same thing happen to me. I have 1m 3f A.agassizii 'Double Reds' in a metre long tank and all three females have laid eggs at different times over the past couple of weeks! Still no fry yet though!

I fend them quite aggressive little fish so Jase's advice is definitely worth heeding.

Howe

5 Year Member
I have noticed one female getting picked on more then average, but it seems she's smart and runs behind the canister filter out take, then the male that chases her usually gets blown away by the outflow, while she hides behind it.

and now I've got three females showing bright colours, happens the ones I couldn't find made they're own caves o_O

I tihnk the rams are helping to keep the apisto's busy so they don't beat on the other sub females too badly.

Sharpfish

5 Year Member
If there is to much pressure from the other fish in the tank the female with eggs may eat them, and look for a more secure place to spawn. Females that turn a bright yellow with heavy black markings signifies that she is ready to or already has spawned. I agree with ed seeley and jase101 wait and watch for fry to appear and overly beat on sub-dom females. Love those aggassizzi!!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….