• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need an ID

madattiver

5 Year Member
I bought three of these guys this weekend. They were labeled A. borelli, but I think they look more like the A. sp "Steel Blue" after I got them home and in my tank. Also, would anyone be able to help sex these little guys? I think there is two males and a female, but not 100%.

here's what I think are the two males:

apisto04.jpg

male and pissoble female pics:

apisto05.jpg

apisto01.jpg

and single shots of what I thought was a female:

apisto03.jpg

apisto02.jpg

Any help would be great!!

Thanks in advance,
Adam

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm pretty positive you've got the ID right. They are Steelblues to me.

Not so sure on the sexing. The little one looks a bit like a small male to me. You may have to wait for it to grow a bit until you can tell.

madattiver

5 Year Member
Last night I watched the one I am not 100% sure on the sex do a little dance for the big male. It was almost verticle flicking its caudal fin at him. I am new to the apisto world and don't know too much about how they interact.

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
Very nice Steels!
The small one does look like a female but I think it's to early to decide, it might be a young male. Not to mention the fact that females are not so common in this species...

DH247

5 Year Member
Hey madattiver,

Do a quick search on the steel blues on the forum. There is a wealth of info on them. If you do have a female there then consider yourself pretty lucky! Females can be extremely hard to come by! Good luck!

madattiver

5 Year Member
I took a few more pics of the apistos in their new home. They are finally settling in and seem to be doing well.

Here are a couple of the one male..

steelblue02.jpg

steelblue01.jpg

and the one that I think/thought was a female...

steelblue03.jpg

steelblue04.jpg

With the new pictures does this help at all with sexing that last one?

Thanks,
Adam

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello ,

I have not kept them before, but on appearance look like 2 males, the second one be the subdominant one..
Just out of couriosity, what happened to the tail area on the right side of the last fish ? Looks like a bite or growth .
Anyway hope that for your sake am wrong and let the others reply.
cheers jk

madattiver

5 Year Member
The tail looks like it got wounded in a scrap with one of the other fish in the tank as it wasn't there the other day. I will check with my lfs to see if they can get more in and see if I can grab another few that I hope can turn out to be females and just keep my fingers crossed with this one as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….