• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Borellii or is it?..

Stijn1191

Hi all,
I've been sold these 2 female borellii's together and bought the male separately. The females are both around 5 cm and the male about 3.5cm.
I'm pretty sure the male is indeed a borellii and the yellow-ish female a borellii as well. But one of the females has red and orange tints seems another sort, because i haven't seen other borelliis online with red tints. Furthermore she gets hunted (a bit) by the yellow female. The male always shows his fluorscent blue colors and the female goes like a cameleon from dark to yellow in no-time. Especially when she hunts the other female or shows off to the male..

Big thanks in advance by ID'ing these!
Anyway, my question is: are all of these really Borellii's because i have my doubts.
Photos say more than words so here we go (sorry about the blurriness! If you need more photos please let me know):
The yellow female
20211011_180039.jpg

20211011_180223.jpg

The male:
20211011_175926.jpg

20211011_175910.jpg

20211011_180141.jpg

The red-ish female:
20211011_180002.jpg
20211011_175952.jpg

20211011_175735.jpg

Stijn1191

Aah crap. Thanks for the information. At least both "females" leave the male borellii alone. I thought the black in the pelvic fin indicated that theyre females and both have that

anewbie

Those females just don't look right for hongsloi. I'm not very good at identifying the females but something about them bother me. I do have hongsloi but the photograph messes with contrast. I think it is the marking on the top that are throwing me off. Btw I'm pretty happy with my hongsloi n their behavior but the male can be a bit aggressive at times esp torwards the females that are not ready to breed. However in a 29 there seems to be plenty of room for the females to leave his 'territory'.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Those females just don't look right for hongsloi. I'm not very good at identifying the females but something about them bother me. I do have hongsloi but the photograph messes with contrast. I think it is the marking on the top that are throwing me off.
Do you mean these markings?

20211011_175735.jpg

If so, it's the dorsal spots (which sometimes can merge more or less into a continous dorsal band). They are found in all macmasteri-group species, e.g. see here: Description of the Apistogramma-macmasteri-Group

anewbie

Do you mean these markings?

View attachment 10648

If so, it's the dorsal spots (which sometimes can merge more or less into a continous dorsal band). They are found in all macmasteri-group species, e.g. see here: Description of the Apistogramma-macmasteri-Group
Yea I took a close look at my female when she came to the front to eat this morning and she does have them they just aren't as pronounced so they never really stood out. She is also a lot less orange (of course she turns yellow when breeding); but that might just be the contrast or colour variation. I guess otherwise she is pretty similar. Thanks for the follow up and details.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….