• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Female superb parenting

Maseboogie

So this isn’t a question more of a statement about how great apistos are at parenting. Yesterday I was getting ready for my weekly water change and I thought to my self let’s check the coconut hut for eggs! So I pick the hut up, and boom about 30 freshly hatched wigglers on the substrate. At first i was excited, then I quickly realized I have disturbed these little guys and the mother. So I quickly put the hut back down, but when I did a couple of them got pushed outside the hut. Me thinking to my self “u are an idiot” I sat there for a second and thought what to do. So I didn’t do a water change Bc I didn’t want to disturb them even more and have her eat them in panic. So that’s that fingers crossed that everything works out. I come back and check the tank a couple hours later and I realize the mother isn’t in the hut and the few fry that weee outside the hut were gone . Great. Then I notice that she is tucked in between a giant Java moss mess that I have in the corner and a price of driftwood. I look closer and to my astonishment she had dug out a little pit and there were all 30 something of the fry in this little pit between the moss and the wood! So awesome! I thought ahe would panic and eat them or abandon them but instead she move them to what she felt was a safer location. Goes to show u that these fish are better at fry care then we are. Once they are free swimming I will pull them and the mother to there own tank so they can be taught how to be apistogramma from the best! That is all

yukondog

5 Year Member
They are pretty good at fry care once they get the hang of it. But why remove the female and fry so soon?

Andy452

I have had similar experiences. I find the apisto mums to generally do a great job.

On one occation mum had take fry out of the cave to brows for food then when I accidently disturb them she then rounded them all up and put them back in the cave. As the fry got larger then became used to me comming along to feed them :)

Maseboogie

I have had similar experiences. I find the apisto mums to generally do a great job.

On one occation mum had take fry out of the cave to brows for food then when I accidently disturb them she then rounded them all up and put them back in the cave. As the fry got larger then became used to me comming along to feed them :)
That’s so awesome!

Joyous

I'm having a similar experience with cacatuoides and want to tip my hat to apisto parents too. In my case both mom and dad are good parents. I didn't spot the fry until they were about 1/4" long (not sure how many weeks old). They were grazing at substrate level with mom or dad hovering around them. Now three weeks later, fry are exploring on their own and parents are still shooing away dither fish, especially at meal time when it's a free for all. There are only 5 fry, so there must've been some loss. Truth be told, I'm actually grateful for the attrition because what to do with these 5 is challenging enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….