• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help in identification and sexing

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
Halloo!

Some time ago last year, I purchased a pair of Apistos from my LFS. They were not labeled, and the owner said they came in as a mistake from the supplier. I purchased them. One failed to acclimate/was pestered by the other and died within the first week. The one left is a delightful fish. Very curious and bold, but peaceful enough with its tankmates (varieties of tetra).

I have yet been able to identify the species, and have no clue of the sex, either. I am not necessarily wishing to breed, but I was contemplating getting another, or several more for a grouping if appropriate.

Size of this fish is around 5cm I think, maybe a bit less. Around the same length as a full grown lemon tetra. Any assistance in identification and sexing is appreciated :)

~C

Attachments

• apisto1.jpg
    apisto1.jpg
    695.1 KB · Views: 222
  • apisto3.jpg
    apisto3.jpg
    900.1 KB · Views: 235
  • apisto2.jpg
    apisto2.jpg
    875.9 KB · Views: 221

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
I've not been able to find an image on the internet yet of a pertensis with the first dorsal ray being black and a red spot at the base of the tail. Otherwise, does look a lot alike!

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
The head is indeed very deformed which makes identification more difficult. However, imo the shape of the dorsal fin and the zigzag lateral band point more towards a resticulosa- or caetei-complex species.

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
You know I never thought of his snoot as being deformed :oops: Ah well. :)

I took two more shots to see if that helps. My gut is telling me is likely a male, and I can see where there is yellow and blue on his dorsal rays and pectorals ... that, if in breeding dress would likely show more brilliantly. As a note, the black lateral across his body typically doesn't show that much when he's out and about, it is typically a little more more faded. I don't think he likes the camera too much, though, and is darkening up out of irritation. He is typically very aware of what is outside the tank.

~C

Attachments

• 20201023_102725.jpg
    20201023_102725.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 20201023_102729.jpg
    20201023_102729.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 186

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
And this shot, to give an idea of scale. He's not a big thing. Managed to play with zoom a touch to make it not appear that something scary was taking pictures.

Attachments

• 20201023_105505.jpg
    20201023_105505.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 216

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
In the last photo I see some black pigmentation in vertical bar 7 below the lateral band. If this isn't just accidential, it points towards a caetei-complex species. These regularly show a "downward angled" lateral band in bar 7. However, given the deformed head and scales there's also the possibility that your fish is some kind of hybrid.

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
Without a clear and certain identification, I am guessing the best / kindest thing is to leave things be and not introduce any other apistos to the tank, even if female? He has pretty much staked out the entire footprint of the 20g long at this point. Fun fish to watch go about his day ... had hoped to see his breeding dress colors, but I can always set up another tank at another time to see apisto colors in action with a more properly planned pair/harem.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Without a clear and certain identification, I am guessing the best / kindest thing is to leave things be and not introduce any other apistos to the tank, even if female?
Since your fish is a male of uncertain identification, you should in particular not introduce some female, especially not a "similar" looking female, unless you want to produce hybrid offspring.

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
Since your fish is a male of uncertain identification, you should in particular not introduce some female, especially not a "similar" looking female, unless you want to produce hybrid offspring.

Exactly what my gut told me :) I'll place more plants, rocks and neon tetras in there instead :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frankephex

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….