• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ADA Aquasoil and TDS

archangelvk

Im currently using a 75% RO/ 25% tap water ratio for my planted apisto tank. When I make the water outside of the tank at this ratio, I get a TDS of 50-55 which is fine for my purposes. When I add ferts (Thrive) to that mix (still outside of the tank) I get a TDS of 75ish. However, I decided to test my tank water today thinking that it would be in that same range but the TDS pen registered 232ppm which is higher then my normal tap water (which is 175). The only thing that I can think of thats different is that the substrate is ADA aquasoil. My question therefore is, does ADA change/add TDS to water?

Thanks

p.s. Although the TDS is high in the tank, the three apisto females in there were able to successfully spawn eggs still which I found weird. I was told they needed a TDS of under 100.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The only thing that I can think of thats different is that the substrate is ADA aquasoil. My question therefore is, does ADA change/add TDS to water?
I think <"ADA Aquasoil"> has added nutrients and these will go into solution as ions, raising the electrical conductivity, and it is that conductivity value that the meter uses to estimate TDS.

cheers Darrel

Iris

Maybe the TDS value you get is not accurate. I have used a tester that can accurately measure the TDS value.https://www.fjdretail.com/refractometer/

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Maybe the TDS value you get is not accurate. I have used a tester that can accurately measure the TDS value.https://www.fjdretail.com/refractometer/
and how is a refractometer help in freshwater? I suggest you leave, now, unless you have any Dwarf Cichlid related questions.

(Definitely not) cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….