• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Will apisto mother take care of new batch of eggs?

jmo

5 Year Member
Hello all,

I was wondering if my apisto borelli mother will take care of a new batch of eggs that isn't hers. She is currently raising 20+ fry of her own that are about 1 week old. My apisto D-37 spawned and I want to pull the eggs since the first spawn failed. I remembered reading a post from Mike saying that apisto female borelli were used in the old days to raise fry from other apisto species.

jmo

5 Year Member
IMG_1061.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 240

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, they were used to guard/raise fry of other species, but I know of no claim that they tended the eggs of other species. Also understand that if her own fry are considerably larger than new/introduced fry that the new fry might well be thought of as food by the larger fry.

jmo

5 Year Member
Okay. Thanks for the reply Mike. Looks like I have about 10 wigglers. While she guides her own fry around the tank to find food she also moves the wigglers along with them.

Attachments

• IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 212

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….