• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how to sex young fish from regani complex

Matthias.couckuyt

Hi,

I recently saw a nice picture on how to sex juvenile fish from the nijsseni complex (from mike wise)
Does this exist for regani complex?

I have a lot of 2 month old Ortegai juveniles and was wondering on when I would be able to determine their gender.

Kind regards,
Matthias

Matthias.couckuyt

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply!

They indeed show differences.
I can see that most of the fish have a thick black border in their pelvic fins, a lot more than even my adult males have. So i'm quite sure these are females.
They also show more black in the first 3 spines of their dorsal fin.
Also less spaces in the blacks on the bottom of their dorsal fin.

I think I have around 3 males and 7 females but they are only 2 cm so I will wait a little bit longer to be sure.
Sorry that not all pics are as sharp as they should be :)

1. Females
1.jpg

2. Female
2.jpg

3. Female and male below
3.jpg

4. Female
4.jpg

5. male
6.jpg

7. male
7.jpg

8. females
8.jpg

9. female
9.jpg

10. male
10.jpg

11. female
11.jpg

12. female
12.jpg
13.jpg

13. female
14.jpg

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 291
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 294

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
I can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure the ones with black on the pelvic fins are all females. It's possible you have one or two males mixed in with them, but like Mike said, it's difficult at this point. The other ones look like definite males. If you can separate them, try putting all the juvies with black pelvic fins in their own tank and see if any males start expressing in the following weeks.

Matthias.couckuyt

should I trust the black spots and space between the black spots on the bottom of the dorsal finn more than the blacks on the pelvic fin and first spines of the dorsal fin?
All my females have 3 non black spaces on the dorsal finn while all my males have more non black spaces in between the blacks. ( I hope everybody understands what I mean )

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Dosal spots vary with the species, not so much with sex. These dark patches can expand and contract on the same fish depending on its mood. For your ortegai-subcomplex species I would look for the more colorful stripe through the middle of the dorsal fin to recognize males than looking at the width of the dorsal spots.

vpik001

Hi,

I recently saw a nice picture on how to sex juvenile fish from the nijsseni complex (from mike wise)
Does this exist for regani complex?

I have a lot of 2 month old Ortegai juveniles and was wondering on when I would be able to determine their gender.

Kind regards,
Matthias

If it is not too difficult, could you please post here the link to that thread where Mike explained how to sex juvenile fish from the nijsseni complex?

Thanking you in advance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….