• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about low-tech tank for Apisto

Nelsonfeelscool

Hi all. So I am really new to this fish kind, and so to the hobby. A little background of my tank, the tank Size in W36×D22×H26(cm) so that would be 5.1-ish gallon in US, but with it planted and substrate deepth. I assume it has only around 4 gallon left. I currently have it in the Walstad method, which is the low-tech(100w heater+DIY sponge filter), low light(11W CFL light blub).

I wonder if it is possible to raise a pair of Ap. bitaeniata? And if the setup is not enough for any Apistogramma?
Which my LFS is quite certain that the fish will not be happy...(currently in Japan, the LFS owner is a very experienced well-known Ap. keeper in Asia area)

FYI: The tank is still in the growing stage, two weeks old. I am gonna wait for at least 1month and a half to bring in the Apisto. Currently using tap water, and trying to find a source of RO water later to drop the PH to around 5.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
He is right, it isn't a big enough tank for any Apistogramma species.

If you could get a pair then the small percoid Dario species might do, but it would have to be a pair, you would need live food and the tank would need to be heavily planted.

cheers Darrel

Nelsonfeelscool

Hi all,
He is right, it isn't a big enough tank for any Apistogramma species.

If you could get a pair then the small percoid Dario species might do, but it would have to be a pair, you would need live food and the tank would need to be heavily planted.

cheers Darrel

Thank you, I actually thought about just getting a single male to be the show fish and few (no more than 5) ditto fish. As for the live food and plants, it is fairly easy to get live food and the tank is heavily planted, so that should be a plus

Nelsonfeelscool

Darrel's suggestion is a good one. The only apisto species that I have kept that would be OK in such a small tank is A. wapisana; behaviorally interesting, but not especially showy.

I saw your comments on the Ap. wapisana on other 5 gallon posts. Thank you! but I have never seen those in the LFS. I wonder if I could just have a Bitanieata Male in the tank, will it be too lonely? lol

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. wapisana (sp. Balzfleck) appears somewhere in the trade every year or 2, but really is not colorful enough to be popular. Your tank would not be ideal for a species the size of A. bitaeniata. I do keep specimens in even smaller tanks (for photography) but only for a day or 2.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I've keeped one male Bit. before just fine for several years, I prefer doubles but have keeped singles. I would not use anything smaller than a 20 long for one male.

Nelsonfeelscool

I've keeped one male Bit. before just fine for several years, I prefer doubles but have keeped singles. I would not use anything smaller than a 20 long for one male.

Thank you, I will keep that in mind. I am not sure if a new big tank is ok since the room is surely run out of space. If really really necessary, making the planted tank to be a quarantine tank I will do so.

The tank is still undergoing the build-up stage, everything is just back on growing. Not until 1 month or longer when I will add livestock, while I am searching every day, looking at others Ap. For instance, my first priority is not breeding but just to keep a pair (or at the moment being single) show piece fish in the tank. therefore PH to IMO is not too crucial besides ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, GH, KH are stable and great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….