• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is this an apisto agassizii pair?

Neil Nayyar.

I recently purchased a pair of Apistogramma. I don't know if they are a male and female
IMG_4795.JPG
IMG_4791.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4788.JPG
    IMG_4788.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_4791.JPG
    IMG_4791.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 269
  • IMG_4794.JPG
    IMG_4794.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 302

Neil Nayyar.

thanks. they were showing some aggression towards each other and I just wanted to make sure that they were a pair.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Technically, they are not a pair because A. agassizii do not bond. They do look like one of each sex, however. Just keep an eye on them. The male might want to breed now, but the female is not ready. This can lead to males trying to drive a non-receptive female out of his territory in hopes to find a more willing female.

Neil Nayyar.

Also, is it normal for the female to show aggression towards the male? She has been chasing him around the tank. I provided more leaves and sticks for him to hide under.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Also, is it normal for the female to show aggression towards the male? She has been chasing him around the tank. I provided more leaves and sticks for him to hide under.
This is normal when the female is guarding eggs/fry.. ! .. He is "expected" to chase intruders away I guess..
For polygamic Apistos the male mostly focus on defense/taking care of the outer territory borders.
Every female then focus on her "personal" territory ... closest to the eggs/fry..
( Ap. agassizii is often categorized as a polygam Apisto )

My experience is that these behavior patterns may sometimes differ after/when kept in tanks for a longer time..(or if the Apistos have lived for several generations in our tanks../ or when kept in pairs instead of a group..? )
.. It seems like males may become more close/bound to their fry .. and maybe sometimes causing "new" situations to solve with the, often very hormonal/protective, female ??

I´ve even seen a borelli male totally taking over the role of females... chasing the egg-guarding female to a corner in the tank... away from their eggs layed/spawned under a Cryptocoryne leaf..
... This happened in a public tank lacking caves or leaves at the bottom!!!!
It did not end well.. He protected the eggs for a day or so..
..but when the eggs were about to hatch he did not seem to know what to do, so I then interpreted it as he abandoned the larvae..!! (?)

dan56

i think they look like a male and female as far as a pair u need to keep and eye on them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….