• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New in from Peru...

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am working on the price list, but here are the results from the photo session today. Photo tanks are no substitute for taking pics of fish when they are established in a tank, but these will have to do. Yes... there are contaminants, but it will take a while to work them out. Nothing much out of the ordinary for Peru, except I did get some of those A. kelleri that TomC found a few weeks ago, the one that is very colorful. The males started sparring immediately out of the bags. So much so that I was freakin' out that I might have to separate them! The A. cacatuoides 'pucallpa' did the same thing... but everyone has settled in. I will produce a list by tomorrow afternoon, and shipping on this order can begin Tuesday or Wednesday.

Apisto. paulmuelleri 'painted face / masken'... I have a couple different of this species, and will keep them separated by the trade name I bought them under.
edit_apisto-_paulmeulleri_painted_face_masken_20141031_0306.jpg

This is the only A. aggasizii that I could get... listed as 'blue'. Pic is not great. In the tanks (before getting chased by the net) they were yellow in the front with blue fins and orange/red highlights in the dorsal
edit_apisto_aggasizii_blue_Peru_20141031_0308.jpg

A. atahualpa came in on the small side, but I like that. Easier to ship and the fish are young.
edit_apisto_atahualpa_20141031_0291.jpg

A. baenschi came in with very very few males. Only two of these bigger guys, and I will have to dig through carefully to see if there are younger males hiding in there. If not... sale on female beanschi!
edit_apisto_baenschi_20141031_0241.jpg

A. barlowi.... big size range on this species. And it is the only set to come in with the black spot parasite.
edit_apisto_barlowi_20141031_0238.jpg

A few flavors of A. bitaeniata, but none that are location-specific. I will work on that for the next order. I received 'red', 'blue', 'yellow' and 'common' (which I think are all the fish that are two small to tell a color on).
edit_apisto_bitaeniata_yellow_20141031_0298.jpg

A. cf. allpahuayo.... came in as 'juruensis', which we know they are not. I think that they are allpas, but not 100% sure. Nice young fish though.
edit_apisto_cf_allpahuayo_20141031_0244.jpg

These came in BIG... sold as A. cacatuoides 'pucallpa'. Possibly also allpa?
edit_apisto_cf_caca_pucalpa_20141031_0247.jpg

Came in as A. cruzi... nice red tail to it.
edit_apisto_cruzi_20141031_0297.jpg

Sent as Apisto. 'diamante/strawberry', and I expected eremnopyge. But they are small and there are definitely a mix of things in there. I have seem female (darn it) baenschi and some aggasizii. Hopefully at least a few eremnopyge will show up. The majority are bitaeniata types, so maybe....
edit_apisto_erymopyge_20141031_0248.jpg

A. eunotus... came in good size, but not huge and old.
edit_Apisto_eunotus_20141031_0231.jpg

Here is the normal A. kelleri....
edit_Apisto_keller_DSC_9149.jpg

This is the red face kelleri, but this photo does not do it justice. It is a bluer overall fish than the regular kelleri, and the red on the face is brighter. The yellow in the fins also pops more.
edit_apisto_kelleri_red_face_DSC_9152.jpg

Came in as A. norberti, but I do not see the color and the dorsal rays look a little long in this picture. The markings look right, but that eye seems a little odd too, with the black surrounding the gold around the iris. These are the only fish that came in a little rough, and I have lost a few. Maybe they will color up when they are settled in.
edit_apisto_norberti_20141031_0253.jpg

I really like wild A. panduro... shows what they are supposed to look like after months on only seeing the east Europe hybrids...
edit_apisto_panduro_20141031_0289.jpg

Here is the other A. paulmeulleri type... this one is the 'apache'
edit_apisto_paulmeulleri_apache_20141031_0315.jpg

Apisto. sp. Pebas... another one that loses all its color when being netted for the photo tank.
edit_Apisto_pebas_20141031_0233.jpg

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Other stuff on the order....

Copella vilmae:
edit_copella_vilmae_DSC_9153.jpg

Hard to get a pic of that fish. THe fins are bright orange and the belly is cherry red.

Anyone into Corydoras?
C091
edit_cory_C091_20141031_0321.jpg

C. cf. semiaquilus - a green form with no barring in the tail
edit_cory_cf_semi_A_20141031_0334.jpg

C. cf. semiaquilus - balck form with barring in the tail
edit_cory_cf_semi_B_20141031_0339.jpg

And these two.... very cool... they stay in my personal collection
edit_cory_cf_semi_C_20141031_0340.jpg

C. fowleri... the real deal!
edit_cory_fowleri_20141031_0329.jpg

CW088.... I really like this one!
edit_cory_cw088_20141031_0326.jpg

C. cf. pastazensis
edit_cory_pastazensis_20141031_0332.jpg

C. sychri.... bad picture. This is a very under appreciated cory. It is nearly white with little dots. I also got a few of the sychri 'luminous', which are pearly white with no little dots.
edit_cory_sychri_20141031_0316.jpg

Everyone breeding apists need a cullinator... here you go. Nothing more natural for eating ugly apistos than a small wolf fish. Erythrinus erythrinus (rainbow or red wolf fish) does not grow very large, and it is pretty.
edit_erythrinus_erithrinus_DSC_9161.jpg

Lots of other stuff too.... three more splash tetras, both of the red pencils, sting rays, Aequidens diadema, Biotodoma cupido, some wood cats... fun fun fun!

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Very impressive stock of Apistos, congrats Ted!
Your A. cf. allpahuayo 'juruensis' are the yellow colorform of A. allpahuayo (A 199), they have this nice leopard-like pattern in the ventral fins. Your A. norberti look indeed like norberti to me. You can id them by a black/dark blotch in the rear part of the dorsal fin. About your A. cacatuoides: I believe that at least the top fish is a cacatuoides, because contrary to A. allpahuayo he has no caudal spot that is clearly separated from the lateral band and I can vaguely see a red marking in the upper part of the caudal fin, which A.allpahuayo never has.

Frank

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I forgot: to me your sp. kelleri don't look like the yellow colorfom Tom has collected recently, but rather like the usual ones.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I forgot: to me your sp. kelleri don't look like the yellow colorfom Tom has collected recently, but rather like the usual ones.

Bad picture.... I will try to get a better one. The two I received are definitely different, and the exporter was with Tom when they were collected.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Red dots or not, one of the forms has much brighter yellow finnage than the other and is an overall bluer, lighter colored fish. That they are both kelleri is not in debate, but they not from the same location.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Just a quick note: I ordered two of the A. agassizii 'Blue' from Ted. Unfortunately my choice of 2nd day express was unwise due to the really cold temps up in the northern and mid west and the fish did not survive the shipment. However, I can say they are probably some of the nicest apistos I've ever seen, with really unique color (still quite visible as the fish were well preserved on the cold water :eek:) and excellent form. Ted sent a fantastic pair. I'm tempted to try again with the overnight express option, but I'm not sure even that option is safe considering the cold temps.

If any of you are looking for a great apisto I highly suggest these aggies - just make sure you choose the overnight express option and possibly wait for some warmer weather before shipping. Thanks Ted, for the excellent fish, sorry they didn't make it...I live and learn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….