• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Happiness is ...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
finding freeswimming fry of A. cf. luelingi "Cristal". It's not that I have fry, but that I have a pair of this species!:) I brought back 2 pair from my recent trip to Peru. After 10 days, I lost one large male. I thought it was due to aggression. Then a week later the other large male died, leaving me with 2 females - or so I thought. Well, I was wrong. Yes, even the "Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz Apistos can be wrong!:oops: One of my 'females' actually is a male and was eager to breed at a small size.

regani

5 Year Member
that is quite lucky. it would indeed be a shame to have brought the pairs all this way and then loose all the males.
congratulations on the spawn.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sadly, my DSLR was stolen while in Peru and all I have right now is a 12+ year old point & shoot camera that can't make decent close-focus photos. As for trip stories of our trip, that is for Tom to decide.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Rolo, you could be very right. Glaser's photos are of newly imported fish (in poor condition). I cannot really say which species/form they actually are. Mark B (Microman), wrote me that Cristal females develop short lyretails. A. luelingi females have round/squared-off caudals (unless very old). My female is 3.5cm/1½" SL and already has a square caudal fin. She is still young, so it's possible that she will develop the lyretail. Until I am certain about my specimens, I will call them "A. cf. luelingi"

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

Rolo, you could be very right. Glaser's photos are of newly imported fish (in poor condition). I cannot really say which species/form they actually are. Mark B (Microman), wrote me that Cristal females develop short lyretails. A. luelingi females have round/squared-off caudals (unless very old). My female is 3.5cm/1½" SL and already has a square caudal fin. She is still young, so it's possible that she will develop the lyretail. Until I am certain about my specimens, I will call them "A. cf. luelingi"

ah, okay, I understand.
I have the "Bolivia Gold" since a few weeks, but they are also too small, to say anything about the female cauldal shape. I'm even not sure, that I have females, anyway.
But according to the locality, I would say, the "Bolivia Gold" are A. luelingi.

From the "Cristal", I knew only that picture from the Glaser website, which look very similar to the "Bolivia Gold", so I just was interested in the differences. So, grow them up and tell us, what you find out. ;-)

Thanks & regards,
Rolo

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrothgar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….