• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A new Apisto species: Apistogramma barlowi

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A new description of an Apistogramma was just published:

Römer, U. & Hahn, I. 2008. Apistogramma barlowi sp. n.: Description of a new facultative mouth-breeding cichlid species (Teleostei: Perciformes: Geophaginae) from Northern Peru.
Vertebrate Zoology, 58 (1): 49-66.

Yes, A. sp. Maulbrüter/Mouthbrooder now has the scientific name A. barlowi. It was named in honor of the late Dr. George W. Barlow, one of the most eminent cichlid researcher of the past half century - especially cichlid behavior. I can't think of a better name for this behaviorally unusual
species (at least breeding behavior for apistos).

rafael

5 Year Member
Thank you for the news Mike, unfortunately I can not open the document, the same thing happens to me with Dicrossus gladicauda. :frown:

Marc

5 Year Member
Hi Rafael,
Thank you for the news Mike, unfortunately I can not open the document, the same thing happens to me with Dicrossus gladicauda. :frown:
it works (at my computer) with a actual Acrobat Reader (Version 8.1.2 Win2000 SP4) in Firefox 2.0.0.14.

Sometimes the respond-time of the Dresden-University Server is a little slow.

Kind regards
Marc

rafael

5 Year Member
Hi Marc.

I also use Firefox under Mandriva/Linux and a friend asked him to try to open the file with Firefox and XP and could not ... Would it be a lot of hassle that will send me both documents by private message?

Thanks in advance,

Rafael.

Iku

5 Year Member
Hi Rafael,
it works (at my computer) with a actual Acrobat Reader (Version 8.1.2 Win2000 SP4) in Firefox 2.0.0.14.

Sometimes the respond-time of the Dresden-University Server is a little slow.

Kind regards
Marc

I tried to open it directly from site and it didn't work either. "Publikationen" folder is not activ.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Try the following URLs:

A. barlowi: http://globiz.sachsen.de/snsd/publikationen/vertebrate-zoology/vz58-1/58_1-08_Roemer.pdf

D. gladicauda:
http://globiz.sachsen.de/snsd/publikationen/vertebrate-zoology/vz58-1/58_1-09_Schindler.pdf

If this doesn't work, try this:
1. Go to: http://globiz.sachsen.de/snsd/publikationen/vertebrate-zoology/
You should see the cover of the journal "Vertebrate Zoology" v.58 (1) 2008 (with a tree frog on it)
2. Place cursor on "Contents" (upper right); you will see "58 (1) 2008" at top.
3. Click "58 (1) 2008"
You should now see the contents of the journal.
4. Click on the article that you want to read.

This works for me, but I use the 'obsolete' Netscape Navigator 7.2 & Adobe Acrobat Reader.
http://globiz.sachsen.de/snsd/publikationen/vertebrate-zoology/vz58-1/58_1-09_Schindler.pdf

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Very interesting new Discrossus species. So similar to D. filamentosus except the tail shape. Makes me wonder how many times it has gone unnoticed in commercial imports?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
According to Stawikowski & Werner (2003 - Die Buntbarsche Amerikas vol. 3), Dieter Bork found this species in an import shipment to Aquarium Dietzenbach in May 2002. He was told that it came from a new location far from any other collecting site for D. filamentosus. It is pictured in the Stawikowski & Werner book, as well as the DATZ book.

rafael

5 Year Member
I am confused :confused:

Römer say: "Apistogramma barlowi is a member of the A. cacatuoides complex within the Apistogramma steindachneri lineage"

Koslowsky? (I suppose) on page Barsch: A. sp. "Maulbrüter": Taxonomie: A. trifasciata Linie, A. brevis Gruppe.

Are not very big difference of opinion? :frown: :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Rafael.

Marc

5 Year Member
Hi Rafael,

my most actual source is the DATZ special edition "South American Dwarf Cichlids" (written by Bohnet/Koslowski, translated by Mike Wise), here you will find:
Group: Probably basal to the Apistogramma-cacatuoides-group
There is a solid amount of work to be done at the B.A.R.S.C.H.-page. :wink:
Kind regards
Marc

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Dr. Römer's uses the term "complex" in roughly the same as "group" is used by Kullander, Koslowski, & Staeck. The term "complex" is more formal than "group". It seems that every author has different opinions on species grouping divisions. While the "groups" of K, K, & S (above) agree with each other for the most part, they are more different from Römer's.

Römer's divisions are based on computer statistical analyses of 51 physical and behavioral charateristics. The problem that I see with this is that many of the species in the genus Apistogramma are quite homogenous morphologically. I believe that many more characteristics are needed to actually understand how the different species are related to one another. Kullander (1998), after all, used 91 different morphological characteristics to divide all of the different South American cichlid genera. Farias, et al. (2000) used 1460 physical & genetic characteristics in their study of the South American cichlid genera. These genera are obviously less homogenous than the species within the genus Apistogramma. I believe that a better statistical understanding of the division of Apistogramma requires many more character sets than Römer used - possibly 100 or more. Because of this, I cannot completely accept Römer's divisions. I find many confusing and contraditory. I prefer Koslowski's (in the DATZ book) because it is based both on physical and genetic characteristics.

Iku

5 Year Member

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member
Hi, all of you apisto freaks...

this is Heiko Bleher just back from Apistogramma and dwarf cichlid lectures, from biotopes in nature and Discus, Angel and mates, as well as aquatic plants and their biotopes and more seminars in Romania where the aquarium hobby is really picking up...

I am writing to you all and Mark, because I read this thread and also have the Vertrabrate Zoology issue and read the two descriptions, and wanted to tell you all (if it is of interest), the following:
1. The mouth brooding Apistogramma I collected and discovered it in August of 1997 and already the same year we, that is W. Mikshovski in Wuerzbug, Germany breed them, and the male had the young in the moth. This was (to my knowledge) the very first discovery of a mouth brooding apisto and my discovery. And Uwe forgot altogether to mention that (as many other things...). The specimen I had grew to 10plus cm and was the largest apisto I have ever seen. And what the group name is concerned, I agree with mark, but even go further: it should only be applied when we really know more. At this point it makes no sence to write extensively about that.

2. The description of the D. gladicauda is a real joke (and I told the editor of the magazine that already - if a peer review had been one for sure it would have never come to a scientific description). I collected hundreds of D. filamentosus with a single upper and even lower sword (normally they have two, as we all know, but there are many such exceptions in nature). If we start to give fishes like this new names, we will have 100,000 species and no one can identify anyone anymore.
Besides: the Venzuela scientists had classified it already as D. filamentosus and those (normally with two swords) live in the type locality described for the one-sword-Dicrossus.
And the specimens for the description with a single sword were only holotype and 4 paratypes. Very poor. I still cannot believe, being an editor of a scientific journal for almost 20 years now (www.aqua-aquapress.com), that such things happen... and specially from pseudo-ichthyologists...

So much so good and all of you keep up the good work,

always
Heiko
www.aquapress-bleher.com

blueblue

5 Year Member
2. The description of the D. gladicauda is a real joke (and I told the editor of the magazine that already - if a peer review had been one for sure it would have never come to a scientific description). I collected hundreds of D. filamentosus with a single upper and even lower sword (normally they have two, as we all know, but there are many such exceptions in nature). If we start to give fishes like this new names, we will have 100,000 species and no one can identify anyone anymore.
Besides: the Venzuela scientists had classified it already as D. filamentosus and those (normally with two swords) live in the type locality described for the one-sword-Dicrossus.
And the specimens for the description with a single sword were only holotype and 4 paratypes. Very poor. I still cannot believe, being an editor of a scientific journal for almost 20 years now (www.aqua-aquapress.com), that such things happen... and specially from pseudo-ichthyologists...

So much so good and all of you keep up the good work,

always
Heiko
www.aquapress-bleher.com

So, i just wondered who the reviewers might be? Did you write and publish an article in the journal and seek replies from the authors? As from what you said, it's quite a joke and we easily could have 10 species of A. elizabethae,
5 species of I. adoketa, ... hehee

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most of the recent apisto & dwarf cichlid species descriptions, sadly, have been in non-juried publications (it gives Dr. Kullander the screaming fits!:eek:) The last description that I know about - that was in a jurried publication - were Ready & Kullander's description of A. eremnopyge & Kullander's description of A. alacrina (both in 2004). If I recall correctly, all of Romer's species descriptions since 1994 (A. mendezi) are in non-juried publications. The same is true for Staeck since 1991 (A. norberti). The problem is that, under the rules of the International Commission for Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN), there is no requirement that a species be described in a peer-jurried publication - or a scientific journal for that matter. Thus, species published in non-jurried publications are open to more questions of validity than those published in jurried scientific publications. This, however, does not make the names immediately invalid. It might be something to consider changing the next time the Code comes up for review.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Most of the recent apisto & dwarf cichlid species descriptions, sadly, have been in non-juried publications (it gives Dr. Kullander the screaming fits!:eek:) The last description that I know about - that was in a jurried publication - were Ready & Kullander's description of A. eremnopyge & Kullander's description of A. alacrina (both in 2004). If I recall correctly, all of Romer's species descriptions since 1994 (A. mendezi) are in non-juried publications. The same is true for Staeck since 1991 (A. norberti). The problem is that, under the rules of the International Commission for Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN), there is no requirement that a species be described in a peer-jurried publication - or a scientific journal for that matter. Thus, species published in non-jurried publications are open to more questions of validity than those published in jurried scientific publications. This, however, does not make the names immediately invalid. It might be something to consider changing the next time the Code comes up for review.

I see Mike. While I do see your points and I understand somehow the logic, I am really surprised that a non peer-reviewed publication can be treated as an outlet for defining a species "scientifically"... you know, one may easily start a journal somewhere and publish tens of articles and then describe tens of species?!...

zmirek

5 Year Member
Hi, all of you apisto freaks...
Hello Heiko it's nice to meet you here :).

this is Heiko Bleher just back from Apistogramma and dwarf cichlid lectures, from biotopes in nature and Discus, Angel and mates
Biotope matters are the most interesting ones for many of us (including me). Is there any change to read your lectures in that matter? I know that you have described them in your "Bleher's Discus vol. 1" but for this moment I am much more focused on apisto than on discus.

Sorry for off-topic

PS. Apisto_mirek from SimplyDiscus and e-mail correspondence that's me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….