• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogram mendezi

Wazaaaa

Hello, I would like to know if this apistogramma mendezi is from the river barcelos ? I only have this picture of the store.
g4i4.jpg

MacZ

Would it make a difference if it was not? If I was trying to get Mendezi, the collection location would be no priority, I'd be happy to get the species at all.

That said, comparing with the fish from Tom's Homepage the dorsal seems to have too much yellow/orange. Also the picture above looks like a stock foto....

Wazaaaa

Would it make a difference if it was not? If I was trying to get Mendezi, the collection location would be no priority, I'd be happy to get the species at all.

That said, comparing with the fish from Tom's Homepage the dorsal seems to have too much yellow/orange. Also the picture above looks like a stock foto....
It is to know, if afterwards I would have more to say apistogramma mendezi "barcelos" or not
this is a picture from the iktus-aqua catalog (french store)

MacZ

Oh, that way round... yes.

From a catalog could very well be a (in-house) stock foto.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Barcelos is only a trade name describing the export station for where it was originally shipped. Your fish appears to be A. mendezi (Orange) - A 222. As far as I know, no one has reported a collecting location for this population.

Wazaaaa

This is not false.

I have just contacted another store that works with Aquarium Glaser, the store currently has apistogramma mendezi exported from Barcelos, type A221 ("Querstreifen"), the specimens are young.

Last edited:

Wazaaaa

Barcelos is only a trade name describing the export station for where it was originally shipped. Your fish appears to be A. mendezi (Orange) - A 222. As far as I know, no one has reported a collecting location for this population.
thank you for your information mike

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have to agree with Frank. The AquaLog book on apistos is so poor at IDs that I had a page and a half of typed personal corrections within a year of its publication. IMHO the best use of this book is to reference the picture numbers when identifying a species, but not the species name.

MacZ

My experience with other fish groups was a different one, but I am far behind you two in terms of Apistogramma. I have drawn the conclusion it was the same with Apistos. I stand corrected.

Wazaaaa

The advantage of the French shop that works with glaser is that they refund and return. many have always found an honest arrangement.

But it's always frustrating to not get the fish you ordered

Wazaaaa

I finally found a breeder for Apistogramma Mendezi in France, I will be able to take a couple instead of a small group of 4, it's great :) if possible to identify :
The two young males:

nw1x.jpg

w09t.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….