• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma mendezi "Santa isabella" quarantine setup

Wazaaaa

Good evening / Hello, I plan to buy 3 or 4 Apistogramma mendezi "Santa isabella" (to have a chance to have a couple) and put them in quarantine in an aquarium of 64 litres, to be able to put them later in my aquarium of 300 litres, my question is what should I put in the aquarium of quarantine? Sand, leaves and seed pods or nothing on the floor and only an air pump with an internal filter and 100% osmosis water for 3,4 weeks? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My quarantine tanks only have items that can be sterilized if need. This means a bare bottom tank, sponge filter, heater and hard surface hiding places (in my case, short lengths of PVC pipe). I add surface plants that are disposable if needed (like duckweed) that dim the light. I use water similar to that to be used in their permanent home and feed in the same way. I quarantine my fish for a minimum of 6 weeks. If they still don't look 'right', then they stay for longer.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Sand, leaves and seed pods
Yes.
I add surface plants
Yes.

I actually have a "quarantine tank" set up permanently, it is full of wood, has some slow growing plants and has sand and structural leaf litter (like my other tanks). I use it to quarantine any new fish, and also to store spare fry etc (but not simultaneously). I don't attempt to sterilise it even if I have fish deaths, I just make sure that several months pass before it has any fish in it again.

These are the fry that resulted from Copella arnoldi spawning in my quarantine tank.

copella_arnoldi1_zps297ebb6f.jpg

cheers Darrel

Wazaaaa

Hi all,

Yes.

Yes.

I actually have a "quarantine tank" set up permanently, it is full of wood, has some slow growing plants and has sand and structural leaf litter (like my other tanks). I use it to quarantine any new fish, and also to store spare fry etc (but not simultaneously). I don't attempt to sterilise it even if I have fish deaths, I just make sure that several months pass before it has any fish in it again.

These are the fry that resulted from Copella arnoldi spawning in my quarantine tank.

copella_arnoldi1_zps297ebb6f.jpg

cheers Darrel
Hi dw1305,

It's basically it is an aquarium like any other to separate individuals for observation?

I have another question, knowing that my 300 litre aquarium has no fish inside and no water, could I not use it to put my 4 apistogrammas mendezi "Santa isabella" ? Is there a risk? Wait 4 to 6 weeks, if all goes well then put my paracheirodon axelrodi or do I really need to buy a quarantine aquarium ?

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I have another question, knowing that my 300 litre aquarium has no fish inside and no water, could I not use it to put my 4 apistogrammas mendezi "Santa isabella" ? Is there a risk? Wait 4 to 6 weeks, if all goes well then put my paracheirodon axelrodi or do I really need to buy a quarantine aquarium ?
People are split as to whether quarantine is necessary for the first fish in a tank. Some feel that the first tank is essentially a quarantine tank. Others prefer the option to sterilize the tank if the first fish become ill. If you choose to add the apistogramma as the first occupants, at least you are not putting the fish at further risk by doing so. You would only potentially cost yourself time and effort if they become sick and you want to break down the tank again.

That said, once the apistos have cleared the quarantine period, you would definitely want a quarantine tank for the P. axelrodi.

-B

Wazaaaa

You are right especially at 55$ for 1 Apistogramma mendezi SANTA ISABEL, I put first the P. axelrodi (not wild) in the 300 L and then buy a quarantine tank for my 4 Apistogramma mendezi SANTA ISABEL, it will serve me also for the reproduction or by misfortune if I have 2 males in the batch of 4 Apistogrammas

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
t's basically it is an aquarium like any other to separate individuals for observation?
It is, just the same as all the other ones, but without any permanent inhabitants.

The original idea was that all the plants would be epiphytes on wood, or floating plants, so that I could potentially observe and/or recapture the inhabitants easily by removing the wood and plants, but I've actually found that, on the whole, you can just let them get on with it and observe their behaviour and condition without needing to disturb them.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….