• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What Kind Of Apistogramma Is This?

Noxs

What Kind Of Apistogramma Is This??

Attachments

• IMG_20210607_172627.jpg
    IMG_20210607_172627.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 315

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
It looks like A. sp. Tefe (a different species than A. agassizii). They are distinguished from the latter by the (usually) zigzag stripes below and sometimes also above the lateral band. Dispite it is known since the late 1990s by the work of Hoffmann & Hoffmann that cross-breeding of A. agassizii and A. sp. Tefe results in the usual symptoms of hybridization (low hatching rates, deformed scales, infertility), the trade as well as many hobbyists still don't recognize them as different species.

Noxs

It looks like A. sp. Tefe (a different species than A. agassizii). They are distinguished from the latter by the (usually) zigzag stripes below and sometimes also above the lateral band. Dispite it is known since the late 1990s by the work of Hoffmann & Hoffmann that cross-breeding of A. agassizii and A. sp. Tefe results in the usual symptoms of hybridization (low hatching rates, deformed scales, infertility), the trade as well as many hobbyists still don't recognize them as different species.
Ohh thank you for the help...our local fish store was bringing some of these i was thinking of keeping and breeding them...bt i was a little on the edge about breeding them i read in someplaces that they are hybrid and breeding them will not be good...bt i didn't know why...thank you for explaining it to me

Noxs

I Have A Another Question Brother Will Breeding Apistogramma Macmasteri Super Reds cause any harm to the fry...??

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Ohh thank you for the help...our local fish store was bringing some of these i was thinking of keeping and breeding them...bt i was a little on the edge about breeding them i read in someplaces that they are hybrid and breeding them will not be good...bt i didn't know why...thank you for explaining it to me
A. sp. Tefe themselves are not hybrids, they are a regular species. Only when you cross-breed them with A. agassizii (or some other separate species) the offspring will be hybrids. However, since the above fish is wrongly offered as A. agassizii, I would only buy it if it's wild caught. If it's tank bred, it can't be excluded that it's itself a hybrid A. sp.Tefe x A. agassizii.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I Have A Another Question Brother Will Breeding Apistogramma Macmasteri Super Reds cause any harm to the fry...??
A. macmasteri "Super red" is a line bred form of A. macmasteri. If the specimens you own/buy look healthy and don't show any deformations of body, fins or scales, there should be no problem with their offspring.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….