• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Maintaining Tannin Tint

HookedOnFish_MI

As I do my weekly water changes, the tint from the tannins release by my Mongolia leaves fades more and more. What’s the solution for maintaining the tint? I can’t see adding more leaves every water change as being sustainable...perhaps getting alder cones and changing one out every water change? Any advice is appreciated.

MacZ

I wouldn't add too many leaves anyway. I think I advised you to only add a handful with some weeks inbetween to maintain the leaf litter bed. Too many at once use up a lot of oxygen.

I don't add the cones themselves anymore. I take a container with RO water a day before a waterchange, add a handfull of cones and let it sit overnight. Then I add the brew to the tank after the waterchange. Interestingly: At first it's not very dark, only seems to give a slight yellowish tint. Over night it darkens a lot. So I only have to do this every 2nd or even 3rd waterchange.
Alternatively a few cones in a filter media bag also work.

HookedOnFish_MI

Thanks for the advice. Just curious...why the extra steps of soaking the cones overnight vs just putting a couple in your tank?

Also, if I were to use a dehumidifier to get RO water, how long can I keep that water before it gets funky or advisable not to put in an aquarium? Any special way to store it?

MacZ

Thanks for the advice. Just curious...why the extra steps of soaking the cones overnight vs just putting a couple in your tank?
I can dry them again and use them one more time. :) Yes, I'm a miser. When I put them in the tank either direct or in a filterbag they will start to rot within a day and are lost for re-use.

Also, if I were to use a dehumidifier to get RO water, how long can I keep that water before it gets funky or advisable not to put in an aquarium? Any special way to store it?

RO from a dehumidifier may contain whatever is in your air with it. Deodorant, room spray, cleaning agents... all stuff that may have bonded with the air moisture.
You can store RO water technically indefinitely. I store it in canisters I used to buy distilled water in. They have a screw cap and are closed tight. As there is nothing in RO that may be of use for bacteria as nutrients the water can't really turn bad.

HookedOnFish_MI

I can dry them again and use them one more time. :) Yes, I'm a miser. When I put them in the tank either direct or in a filterbag they will start to rot within a day and are lost for re-use.

RO from a dehumidifier may contain whatever is in your air with it. Deodorant, room spray, cleaning agents... all stuff that may have bonded with the air moisture.
You can store RO water technically indefinitely. I store it in canisters I used to buy distilled water in. They have a screw cap and are closed tight. As there is nothing in RO that may be of use for bacteria as nutrients the water can't really turn bad.
Darn, I thought that could be my easy way of getting RO water. As always, thank you for the advice.

HookedOnFish_MI

Think about the metal coils in a dehumidifier. What are they made from? Can the water take the metal into solution?
Thank Mike. I will avoid that route and am considering changing my tactic to use my 15 gallon for the breeding part, and buying a few gallons of distilled water each week to cut the tap.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I had no idea how small they were!
I don't what species you would get in the USA, I know there are <"native species of Alnus">. In Europe (I'm still very much a European despite BREXIT) you usually get Alnus glutinosa/incana or Alnus cordata. Alnus glutinosa/incana is a small cone, but A. cordata (Italian Alder) is much larger.

Have a look at <"PlanetCatfish: using Alder....">.

cheers Darrel

HookedOnFish_MI

Hi all,

I don't what species you would get in the USA, I know there are <"native species of Alnus">. In Europe (I'm still very much a European despite BREXIT) you usually get Alnus glutinosa/incana or Alnus cordata. Alnus glutinosa/incana is a small cone, but A. cordata (Italian Alder) is much larger.

Have a look at <"PlanetCatfish: using Alder....">.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel. Here’s what I got, but it does not say the species. I will look at your link as well.
0A38E234-2BF1-4C5A-A9C4-0921C90C4CD8.jpeg

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

I use a 40 liter bucket which has peat and misc leaves for waterchanges. Very easy way to control the amount of tint in tanks.
I´ll just add leaves when I start to see the bottom and the peat when conductivity stops to drop.

Just my 2 cents:

Kiljupönttö.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….