• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first spawn! What next?

wtusa1783

My apistogramma cacatuoides orange flash just spawned! I’m see what happens and if fry hatch I plan to put them in a breeder net in the tank that hatched in for a few weeks. After that they will go into their own grow out tank. Is that a good plan? I’m just happy they spawned bc I know they are happy. I have hard water with a ph of 7.8-8.0 so I’ve very happy!

Attachments

• E87A79CD-3891-41CA-B402-C33CB9B8A8D7.jpeg
    E87A79CD-3891-41CA-B402-C33CB9B8A8D7.jpeg
    929.1 KB · Views: 231

wtusa1783

Keep an eye on them especially seeing how you can see them, if you see fry do you have brine shrimp ready to hatch?
No I don’t. I’ve never done it but I’ve raised multiple fry from other fish. Will the female take care of them for a while or do I need to strip them as soon as they hatch?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A breeder net is not a good idea IMHO. First, fry orient toward their mother for signals that it is safe to move off the bottom and feed. Without the mother they just try to hide on the bottom and not eat. Second, apisto fry orient to food that moves in the water collumn. Much of the food that just falls to the bottom is ignored. Live food ensures better survival rates.

wtusa1783

A breeder net is not a good idea IMHO. First, fry orient toward their mother for signals that it is safe to move off the bottom and feed. Without the mother they just try to hide on the bottom and not eat. Second, apisto fry orient to food that moves in the water collumn. Much of the food that just falls to the bottom is ignored. Live food ensures better survival rates.
So how long should I leave them with the mother?

yukondog

5 Year Member
I agree, live food is all mine get for the first week or so, then I start adding some frozen bbs to the mix, I would not remove any fry from the female at least not for 5-6 weeks, watch for aggression between the pair and have another tank up and running for the male if needed. If you want to raise them, I would get the BBS eggs and have everything ready to start hatching after you see her bring them out.

wtusa1783

I agree, live food is all mine get for the first week or so, then I start adding some frozen bbs to the mix, I would not remove any fry from the female at least not for 5-6 weeks, watch for aggression between the pair and have another tank up and running for the male if needed. If you want to raise them, I would get the BBS eggs and have everything ready to start hatching after you see her bring them out.
O ok. Why can’t I just leave them for a week or two and then take them? I would like to make some profit from this. I’ve never hatched bb and my fry have been fine but I suppose I’ll try. Where is the best place to get the eggs?

yukondog

5 Year Member
I would say, the first thing you should do is call your local pet shops and see if they have any dry brine shrimp for hatching if you want to breed them, second is have you located a pet shop that wants them?
Hatching brine shrimp is pretty easy, Google Youtube homemade brine shrimp hatchery, all you need is a soda bottle 2 liter, a little bit of air line, a air pump, salt [no iodine], pinch of baking soda and your eggs. Good luck

wtusa1783

I would say, the first thing you should do is call your local pet shops and see if they have any dry brine shrimp for hatching if you want to breed them, second is have you located a pet shop that wants them?
Hatching brine shrimp is pretty easy, Google Youtube homemade brine shrimp hatchery, all you need is a soda bottle 2 liter, a little bit of air line, a air pump, salt [no iodine], pinch of baking soda and your eggs. Good luck
Non of them have it from what I understand. And yes I was talking to my lfs today and I can easily sell to all lfs. They are very rare in my area. My lfs had to import from Europe bc they couldn’t get any. I can easily sell for $25+ a pair

yukondog

5 Year Member
If your going to have fry and you dont have any to hatch or can't order it, than I would say get frozen baby brine shrimp and hope for the best. But if your going to breed them for profit than it's best to get started learning how to hatch them.

wtusa1783

If your going to have fry and you dont have any to hatch or can't order it, than I would say get frozen baby brine shrimp and hope for the best. But if your going to breed them for profit than it's best to get started learning how to hatch them.
Definitely. I guess this first batch will be a sort of experiment. Don’t they basically never stop breeding after they start?

yukondog

5 Year Member
That's good, if you see any that turn white or fuzzy looking try and remove them immediately, there dead and will spread to the others, most times the female will take care of them, I use a turkey baster when they dont or wont.

wtusa1783

That's good, if you see any that turn white or fuzzy looking try and remove them immediately, there dead and will spread to the others, most times the female will take care of them, I use a turkey baster when they dont or wont.
Ok. I don’t see any. The female will go and “suck?”on the eggs every once in a while

wtusa1783

They hatched earlier today and are now wigglers!

Attachments

• D368D423-DB46-407E-B0CC-28042CC3EAF0.jpeg
    D368D423-DB46-407E-B0CC-28042CC3EAF0.jpeg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 234

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….